Please help ID grass

connie_z5(Z5/MI)July 8, 2006

I don't know where to post this message.

I need help to ID a fast growing "ornamental grass" that was given by a friend. They are lighter green in color, 12" tall, no joint, die back in winter. The roots are fragile, there is a pea sized hard shell ball(?root ball) at the end of the main root. Other roots are swollen at the end. It is very pretty but spreads like crazy. Is it a kind of ornamental grass or weed? How should I get rid of them?

Please help!

Thanks

Connie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenthumbgardener

Without seeing a picture, I can only guess, but I think it may be nut grass. It doesn't do too much good to just pull it, because it leaves behind remnants what will regrow. I'm always reluctant to advise poisonous controls, but look at the information on the web and decide for yourself if it is nut grass, and if so, what you personally feel comfortable using.

Bookmark   July 10, 2006 at 6:59PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

A search at images.google for nut grass pulls up a few dozen pictures. They are interesting. I never knew of such a root.

Bookmark   July 11, 2006 at 1:17PM
botanybob(Northern Idaho)

It sounds like nutsedge to me. This is a pretty invasive plant. Look up Cyperus esculentus for more info. This has been called the world's worst weed. I hope that's not it.

For a good ID, post a photo on the Name That Plant forum. You will get your answer quickly. It would be helpful to have a photo that includes the tubers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow nutsedge

Bookmark   September 17, 2006 at 10:38PM
chaman(z7MD)

Mulch the grass heavily, Grass clippings work better.When the grass grows next year try to pull out along with tubers and roots as early as possible..Any broken pcs. of roots in the soil will sprout again.
It seems to me it is Yellow nutsedge according to link provided by botanybob.
I have the same grass in some area of my back yard.I try to pull out most of it but still it appears every year.It is a big problem for farmers in countries like India, particularly in Monsoon.

Bookmark   September 18, 2006 at 9:06PM
More Discussions
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
Sructure name?
Plant is a Callisia but would appreciate help with...
mfyss
Correct Notation for Scientific Classification
Hello. I would like to know how to list a species complete...
Reuel
grafting compatibility
Hi, is there any logic about matching rootstock and...
lord_of_the_green
Why would flower colour change?
I know that some plants, such a hydrangea can change...
adidas
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™