Escargot leaves soft and droopy

smithjm(z9 FL)May 23, 2005

i've had this plant for 2 weeks now. I noticed yesterday that some of the leaves around the edges are really soft and droopy. I keep the soil barely moist, and gets sunlight from south window. What's causing this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mingtea(z9 Tucson)

you know, 'Escargot' is a big drinker. in the summer, i watered it every 3 days, if not every other day and it LOVED it. i had it outside nestled in my flower beds and it got watered when i watered them. try a bit more water? don't go overboard, but just step it up slightly and see what that does.

also, i might not be picturing what you're saying correctly--i wonder if the leaves are just big and naturally a little droopy because of their size?

-ming

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 12:25PM
smithjm(z9 FL)

well the leaves are not to big yet. Some of the leaves are nice and thick and others around the edges thinned out and sag. I'm sorry, I don't know how else to describe it. Also is it ok then if i water them even if the dirt is still moist to the touch?

Bookmark   May 24, 2005 at 7:39PM
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I think you can keep it fairly moist, tho' of course be sure not to keep it soggy. Also, I'm wondering about that 'south' window. That might be too much light. Rexes, and other rhizomatous too, prefer little if any direct sun, tho' bright light is fine. And if you've only had it a couple weeks, you should possibly check its roots to see if it got too much water before you got it and you have some root rot. Probably not, tho'--I bet more water and possibly less sun will fix it right up.

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 12:42AM
smithjm(z9 FL)

yesterday i put my escargot on a tray filled with pebbles and water. I hope this fixes the humidity problem. Also, i spoke to a lady at the local nursery. She told me the thinning and sagging of the leaves could be, i'm giving it to much water.

Bookmark   May 26, 2005 at 7:37AM
More Discussions
Newly bought a Rex Begnoia -
This appears to have smaller leaves. I had these before,...
jujujojo_gw
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™