Dark leaved wax begonias...is this normal?

bgaviator(7)May 28, 2013

First year working with Begonias.....some of the blooms have started to brown and shrivel....is this normal? Is this just part of the blooms life-cycle, and the plant will generate more? I have also noticed a couple of holes in the leaves, and brown, dried looking tinging on some of the leaves.....any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bgaviator(7)

another pic

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 8:17PM
hcmcdole(z7)

Looks okay to me. Is there any evidence of burning or rot? It may be going through a little stress of settling in. Hope you don't have it in full afternoon sun even though lots of places seem to do this but a little shade during the hottest part of the day will go a long way.

Blooms come and go as well as older leaves. Pick off old deformed leaves and dead blooms if they are unsightly. This will encourage it to put out more blooms and new leaves (as long as it stays healthy).

Bookmark   May 28, 2013 at 8:40PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

Agreed. When I'm looking at these plants, I usually pick those dead flowers off because first, they're fugly, and they also tend to stick to the leaves, or the still-good flowers. Easier to do when dry. Your plants look great, the red on the edge of the leaves is healthy. When the ones in the ground emerge in the spring, they look like that if they're in a spot that's under a tree that hasn't leafed-out yet. If there's an ugly brown leaf, I trim it off so the new leaves under it can get light and have space to get bigger.

Bookmark   May 30, 2013 at 12:52PM
Barbie42

well, I have never had problems with waxed begonias before now. One entire bed's leaves and flowers are turning brown, and possibly dying. Could this be because of so much rain??? If So, what can I do about it. Supposed to get more rain tomorow.

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:06PM
More Discussions
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™