low growing perennials

DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson(USDA 9b)October 4, 2011

Recently purchased a 2nd home in Tucson. Spend most of our time in Portland, OR currently. We are trying to add some color to a planter on the southside of the house that is partially shaded by a mesquite tree midday, otherwise some morning and evening sun. Drip irrigation in place. Looking for suggestions for colorful perennials that mature at a height of about 18-24 inches or less (dont want them above the bottom of the window). Planter is about 18 inches deep and 6-7 feet long. Not interested in cacti for this location and we already have lots of lantana in the landscape. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xoxos

i'm a big fan of salvia gregii and such things, they have a pleasant scent and appearance for years and don't grow tall. they won't be very happy if your drip system goes out :) i'd use aloes if that was a possibility.

Bookmark   October 7, 2011 at 2:30PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Lantana was my first thought, but you say you've got enough of that for your taste for now, so I'd suggest thinking about some of the dwarf growing Ruellia plants (not the full sized as they'd be taller than your stated height restriction, but the 'Katy' varieties would stay shorter). I like xoxos' suggestion of Salvia greggii too. Asparagus fern would do well there too, though won't provide much flower color.

Let us know what you select and how it works out! Portland and Tucson?? You get the best of both worlds!

Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 1:57PM
DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson(USDA 9b)

Thanks for the suggestions. Looked up some of the smaller aloes, they look pretty good as do a couple of the salvia. Was previously looking at the ruellia and then read that they were considered an invasive species now. Is this true? The asparagus fern would definitely be a texture difference.

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 8:09PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Ruellia does travel seeking water but if you are planting in a planter, as mentioned in the first post, you don't need to worry about the invasiveness of a plant. It won't grow outside the box (unless the box is sitting on the ground and there's drainage holes in the bottom that roots could grow through.) Asparagus fern can be terrible to get out of a bed once established so that would be a definate no-no in ground. Sounds like you have some great suggestions. Post a picture when you get the planter done.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 8:42AM
DocHollywood 9b Central Tucson(USDA 9b)

The planter is built of brick and I believe is sitting on the bare gound so roots/ruellia may be a problem. Thanks for the asparagus fern tip.

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 10:56AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Instead of ruling either plant out, just plant them in a planter that you sink into the ground. That's what I did with walking onions in my garden....and wish I had done with the lemon balm and English thyme. Gads they took over the whole bed. Next time I plant them, and I will b/c I love both, I'll plant them in a container and plant the container!

Bookmark   October 10, 2011 at 5:50PM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

I like to line a planter with pond liner (a thick rubber), fill with yard soil (clay). No drainage. There are lots of great plants that will grow in that kind of "wet bed". Most any pond plant.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 10:21PM
More Discussions
Lawn renovation/reseeding - Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
how to get better tasting tomatoes
Last year, I finally was able to grow a few tomatoes,...
newtoucan
Ever grow melons in containers?
Ok, so my eyes were a lot bigger than my gardening...
captaininsano
does anyone grow santolina in Tucson area?
Has it just gone out of style, or is there a problem...
DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™