Epipactis gigantea in CT???

spittlebugCTJuly 18, 2004

Recently I was walking by my mailbox and noticed a type of orchid growing by it. Being an orchid lover, i got all excited and looked in my flower book for this new type i had never seen before... i found out that it was a "Stream Orchid" or Epipactis gigantea, in the Helleborines family. the book showed that it only grows in the west, then what is it doing here in the northeast??? i am thoroughly confused about this. some info on this species would be of great help!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Rosa(4ish CO Rockie)

You can generally google the scientific name of the plant and come up with a few descriptions and distribution.
Common names can be gross misnomers so a "stream orchid" may not be what it seems - a true orchid - especially if you are sure your species is truely in the Hellbore family.

Bookmark   July 19, 2004 at 7:55AM
spittlebugCT

thank you for the info...i foud a great website concerning the broadleaf helleborine. and it does show it living in northern CT. http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant_profile.cgi?symbol=EPHE&rtnscr=qurymenu.html&rtnpar=

this site had some great info on it. Thanks again --dru

Bookmark   July 19, 2004 at 11:16AM
nazanine

I did a search and found that E. gigantea (a true orchid) grows in zones 4-8, so maybe even if it is not native to the NE, perhaps it got somehow planted there and survived? Another thing I can think of is that it could be Epipactis helleborine and not E. gigantea?

Bookmark   July 19, 2004 at 11:22AM
spittlebugCT

Yes Nazanine, thanks for helping...i found out that i was wrong about it being a E. gigantea, it's actually a E. helleborine. :O how embarassing..lol but thanks for the input guys, i really appreciated it :) -- dru

Bookmark   July 19, 2004 at 4:59PM
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

Not to confuse you more, but here's a Japanese species, E. thunbergii, that is quite beautiful with bright orange flowers. You can grow E. gigantea in the NE and it should be available from some vendors of western wildflowers. It is more colorful and larger than E. helleborine, and I've heard it's not too hard to grow. PF

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   July 20, 2004 at 1:33AM
spittlebugCT

wow! that is a gorgeous plant! its leaves are very simmilar to the E. helleborine... interesting... thanks! --dru

Bookmark   July 21, 2004 at 9:32PM
More Discussions
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
Can Plants Absorb Water Through Their Leaves?
Forgot what they taught me in school years ago! Sometimes...
andyamp
Cold stratification & "tricking" seeds
Was originally posted here, in the Growing from Seed...
actionclaw
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
terrestrial_man
Cannabis self pollination effects on hermaphrodite tendencies.
Colorado we have legal rights to grow and breed Marijuana/hemp....
farmerlino
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™