New to Begonias

mboston_gwMay 6, 2007

Okay, I must admit that I really know nothing about begonias except we had one in a planter and it lived (or grew back) despite neglect, bugs, and humidity.

What I need to know first is what is the difference between the darker leaf begonias that have usually red, pink or white flowers and the lighter green leaf ones with the same color flowers. Do they need the same amount/type of light? I am talking about the typical kind you see in all the nurseries, not the fancy REX ones that I see in the gallery photos.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

I don't think the color of the leaves has anything to do with how much light they should receive. The color of the leaves is due to their genetic make up. I group most of my canes together. If one looks stressed then I move it to a shadier spot.

More light usually makes stronger healthier plants which equates to more blooms and brighter colors. Same goes for feeding them. Also the intensity of the light can change the color of the leaves which you may or may not like so experiment. For example, I bought a plant on one of the Keys five years ago. The leaves were almost black but since that time, the leaves are more a bright green with white polka dots.

Here is a pot of some canes I had at the edge of a shade tree so that the front side got direct sun. I had to rotate this pot every week.

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laura1(9aTpa,FL)

mboston-we have the perfect weather for growing begonias outside. I don't have to baby mine. I stick them under a shade tree (gets some full sun part of the day/year) and give them a spash of water every few days and fertilize. I have the green kind (cane) and some rhizomatous. angel wings and a few rexes and they are all thriving. They are great and colorful and I'm addicted.

Bookmark   May 8, 2007 at 5:42AM
More Discussions
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™