A chip off the old bulb - chipping update

kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)September 23, 2008

I checked all 24 of my chips (16 twinscale and 8 that were left after the twinscales were done). I am happy to report that after just 18 days I am already seeing several new bulblets forming. I did have to discard 4 pieces because of mold, but everything else looks great!!!

I'll take photos when they get a little bigger. I am being good about not peeking more than every 3 days!

Kristi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

FYI on the 20 "chips" so far there are 11 little bulblets. Some have 2 growing and one of the larger pieces has 3! For anyone who's done this before, how many did you get from your chips (how many chips produced a total of how many little bulbs?).
Thanks!
Kristi

Bookmark   September 24, 2008 at 8:39PM
jodik_gw

I've never split a bulb to reproduce it, and I really hope I never have to... propagation from cuttings and leaves and things is not my strong suit in the gardening arena!

I am glad, though, that you're able to do this... and very glad that you're seeing results! Keep updating us, if you can... it's very interesting and educational to see this done!

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 12:15PM
ryan820(z5b Denver, Colorado, USA)

Kristi-- what medium are these things in? Any at all, or just a semi-moist environment?

I recently had to un-do a plumeria cutting because its been months now with no response. I freshened the cutting (cut off the dead end) and I'm going all perlite now, which I've had a lot of success using before, in conjunction with rooting hormone.

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 1:13PM

Ryan,

They are in vermiculite. It was 8 parts vermiculite to 1 part sterile water in a ziplock-type baggie. I used 8:1 vol:vol not wt:wt.

K

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 1:19PM
ryan820(z5b Denver, Colorado, USA)

Well i hope they grow up to be huge bulbs that give you great flowers once again...and some babies, which you might...just might, like to share with your fellow addicts ;o)

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 2:29PM

Once it's officially named...I'll gladly share! It will also give me a "spare" to send to the KAVB test garden.
K

Bookmark   September 25, 2008 at 4:36PM
AuntJemima

Just wondered how these bulbs are doing?

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 2:07PM

There is another post with photos floating around somewhere. One lister jokingly said that they little bulbs looked like something from his cat's litterbox!

Unfortunately, the mother bulb was harboring virus, which wasn't evident when I did the cuttage. The bulbs grew and did well, but are now under screen. Would love to find a cure...

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 4:50PM
More Discussions
He sould be a Kulhua
If someone what it is please tell me. He was tell as...
orchids_grower_1946
Planting Papilio in the ground
I live about 20 miles north of New Orleans in zone...
John Lusk
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Holding my breath ...
My Noid is about to reveal her identity …
bragu_DSM 5
Hippeastrum 'Belicia', any knowledge?
Hi everyone, The thing is my recently purchased White...
lenanen
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™