soil sabatoge??!! please help!! fast!

kriterrzJuly 22, 2008

Hi, i've been growing all sorts of vegetables this year (my very first garden!!!) and my neighbor gave me some mulch to put around my tomato plants (which i thought was nice of him considering he hates us since our cat poops in his flower bed). WELL i was putting the mulch down and it's filled with broken firecrackers (the firework, not the flower)...will the firecracker powder hurt my tomatoes?? Does anyone know? Please help! if so i need to dig up all the soil and FAST!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brockthegreek

Hi kriterrz,
You didn't mention if the broken firecrackers were just broken in two or if they were the remains of having been popped. Irregardless, I don't think there is anything to worry about. But if it concerns you, then remove the mulch. You won't need to remove any of your soil. Maybe he did it to stress you out!(Ah,sweet revenge!)At least you didn't find it filled with pieces of your cat! ;)
BTG

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 1:48AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It does sound like a case of 'an eye for an eye...'.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 1:20PM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I should think that firecracker waste should contain a lot of minerals. There should be potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and rare trace stuff -- shouldn't there?

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 1:33PM
terrestrial_man(9)

His gift was a warning to you regarding the activity of your cats in his yard. I am presuming the firecrackers were not exploded and being broken in half would cause me think that his intent may have been to use them to scare off your cats out of his yard. You need to be responsible and a good neighbor and either confine your animals to your yard and provide them with an easily accessible place to poop on your property and not on his. He is entirely in his rights to have animal control take your animals.

I know of instances where the neighbor's cats simply disappeared forever.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 10:01PM
dlpasti

very understandable---I love my cat, but really don't care for the cleaning up after the neighbors cats, or dogs in my yard and gardens, imagine planting seedlings and the "suprises" one pulls out of the raised bed when neighbors cat used it as a litter box?

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 9:06AM
staticx(6b)

its just a bunch of natural minerals like albert said,you know sulphur and the like.i was crazy like this about my first garden which was last summer.

Bookmark   February 20, 2009 at 11:00PM
eibren(z6PA)

Maybe he is hoping your cats will now use your mulch instead of his.

Bookmark   May 8, 2009 at 2:23AM
More Discussions
Chinese Bottle Gourd: Double Ovary?
Hi, the plant in question is the Chinese bottle gourd,...
Johnleprekan
Sructure name?
Plant is a Callisia but would appreciate help with...
mfyss
Franklinia alatamaha
Maybe this query should go in the Propagation or Native...
Josh
Cannabis regeneration technique
I'm looking to get some opinions on the below questions...
yolanda89
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™