greenhouse for the summer months would be great

richsdOctober 4, 2013

Do any of you gardeners have a greenhouse? It seems to me that the only way i'll enjoy summer gardening in the valley is to have a greenhouse or Arizona room with plenty of evap coolers.

i know orchid growers have greenhouses in the valley, but it's likely everything would benefit from the humidity and cooling of an evap cooled greenhouse in the summer.

Honestly though, it's a pipe dream because my HOA probably wouldn't allow one anyway and it's a lousy investment for home resale.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GeeS 9b

No interest in a shade house? Not the same benefit of course, but some benefit, and you could build one inexpensively with PVC & shade cloth, even put it up and take it down seasonally if you wanted.

Bookmark   October 4, 2013 at 11:26PM
richsd

Good suggestion, GermanStar. I definitely need more shade than I currently have :(

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 12:13AM
GeeS 9b

How do you like this bad boy? Not exactly what I had in mind, but useful and inexpensive.

This post was edited by GermanStar on Sat, Oct 5, 13 at 18:46

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 1:25AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

and low profile. The HOA committee has to see it to bust you for it!!

Bookmark   October 5, 2013 at 8:35AM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

There are some dedicated greenhouses with evaporative coolers. And a crazy person or two who have AC's.

Dennis and Danielle McClung use a 40% block white UV protected knitted polyethelene shade cloth and successfully were able to remove their swamp cooler. Of course their green house is below ground so it is a bit cooler.
for example:
http://www.gemplers.com/product/151005/White-Shade-Cloth-40-Shade-Factor
http://www.growerssolution.com/page/GS/PROD/white40

Bookmark   October 6, 2013 at 7:32PM
mjp_80

your talking about gardenpool.org . They made a pool into a greenhouse.

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 7:20PM
mjp_80

I use to own a greenhouse 10 years ago and would use it in the winter. I would grow a ton of things and used sonic humidifiers to make a thick fog every night. The banana plants and other tropicals loved it.

I wouldn't do a summer greenhouse. It's just too hot.

This post was edited by mjp_80 on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 19:25

Bookmark   October 7, 2013 at 7:21PM
toucan(9)

So when you used a humidifier, you didn't need a heater?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 1:06AM
quotetheraven(9)

I would love a greenhouse for winter..a nice place to start seedlings and over winter some of my patio plants. At this time, my husband surrounds the patio with plastic and hangs a light in the center, but, it's a lot bigger than we need and kind of a pain for him to do each winter. If you couldn't have a bigger building, maybe a lean to? some of those hold quite a bit and are not visible unless someone actually goes into your back yard.

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 12:53PM
ernie85017

Yes,what is the story on the humidifiers?

Bookmark   October 22, 2013 at 2:14PM
richsd

Fascist, interesting that you mention a few gardeners have a/c for their green houses. They're probably rich.

I guess if money is no issue, a person could build a reasonably energy efficient a/c cooled greenhouse here. You'd need to use double or triple pane energy star glass for all the windows (low solar heat gain windows.) As for cooling, you could use evap during the hot, months and high efficiency a/c during the humid monsoon months. To be extra green, you could install solar panels to run the a/c or swamp coolers.

You probably wouldn't need supplemental heating at all- just shut the windows at night.

Bookmark   October 24, 2013 at 12:56PM
toucan(9)

I found this frame on Amazon for $121. Could you possibly make it it a shade house for spring, summer and fall and convert it to a greenhouse for winter. They have smaller sized ones too. If anyone knows how to go about doing this conversion and make it looks nice and easy to do, please post.

SALE! 10X16 Basic Greenhouse Kit - DO IT YOURSELF by E-Z Frames!
E-Z Frames (11)

This post was edited by toucan on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 9:18

Bookmark   October 30, 2013 at 9:16AM
More Discussions
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™