Where to begin??!?....

rivermintyJuly 21, 2008

Hellos, I am less than a week away from becoming 18 and have recently taken up a serious interest in Botany and/or biology. I love plants and learning about them fascinates me, but I'm not sure how to go about educating myself in the best way. Obviously, there are thousands upon millions of plants to study, and I'm not sure what to start with.

Does anybody know of any good resources for jumping in afresh to the science of botany, or some refutable (sp?) books or websites? I don't mind if they're rather text-y. :)

Thank you so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brockthegreek

Hi riverminty,
Here's a site that may interest you. It talks about Botany, fields of study and a lot of other interesting areas and topics relating to it. One of the best places to learn about plants are the forums here on GardenWeb. A lot of experienced people with a ton of information.
BTG

Here is a link that might be useful: nbii.gov

Bookmark   July 23, 2008 at 2:00AM
pineresin

Look into university degree courses in botany or plant sciences.

Resin

Bookmark   July 24, 2008 at 11:17AM
ronalawn82(z9FL)

riverminty, I cannot answer your questions specifically but in the broadest terms, you will find that there are two paths to learning:- Synthesis and Analysis. You can look back on your own learning and discover which works better for you. In the first method, one starts off with the cell and works up to tissues, organs, systems and ultimately the whole plant. In the second method, one starts off with the whole plant and proceeds to break it down to macro parts - leaf, stems, roots and working down through (in the case of the stem) xylem, phloem, cambium, cell. There is a third way, (and I am still working on it) the historical perspective. To give an example, I struggled with Archimedes Principle in high school but I did not get it right until I "studied" the life Of Archimedes a little. The legendary bath; the legendary golden crown of Hieron all helped but this was long after high school. All I understand now about microbes was learnt from the "Microbe Hunters" by Paul de Kruif which I first read two years after my formal education was over (I am still a slow learner). From the 'historical perspective' one starts from the point of ignorance (Archimedes did not always know the flotation principle)and follows the pioneer through the discovery process. "Microbe Hunters" does it particularly well. It is the only book I describe as enchanting; and I have read many, many fairy tales.

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 4:53AM
panamaplants(Central America)

Hi riverminty,

All the suggestions so far are excellent. I started with a book called "Botany in a Day," can you believe it? A very useful book that gives you a jump start on identifying plant families. More books and other resources at the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Books for Learning Plants

Bookmark   July 27, 2008 at 8:18AM
More Discussions
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
zjharrison
What are they?
Hi gardeners, I just went to empty the scrap bucket...
tonyjugoslav
Plant ID needed!
Can you please ID this plant for me? It is potted in...
RPost78
grafting compatibility
Hi, is there any logic about matching rootstock and...
lord_of_the_green
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™