red plum trees (fruiting)

mranchhodAugust 1, 2007

Can anyone suggest how we can STOP Red Plum Trees that we had planted many years ago along one side of our property, TO STOP FRUITING? The Trees have grown very tall and large and can no longer be trimmed and produce vast quantities of inedible Red Plums which litter the entire driveway.

Is there any chemical or other process so we can treat them each season so THEY WILL NOT BEAR FRUIT?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pineresin

I've never heard of an inedible plum before! If they're a bit on the sour side to eat fresh, make them into plum jam or plum pie (delicious!!).

Resin

Bookmark   August 3, 2007 at 8:12AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

I have seen edible red plum trees in an apartment landscaping in the high deserts of norther Nevada. These were quite good eating.

I have attempted to find one for my home and failed.

If, repeat if, you are into spending and experimenting I once heard an academic hypothesis that you could get some of the stuff made to cause all fruit on the trees in orchards to ripen at the same time. Then really overdose your tree back when it has tiny fruit, just after the blossoms drop. I tried it once on an apricot but run out of chemicals but I sort of feel it might have potential. From my experience I feel you need a really good sprayer and a lot of chemical.

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 2:06PM
More Discussions
Population (genetic) diversity in home landscaping?
Hi, My question concerns: how long a perennial wildflower...
njbiology
Cannabis regeneration technique
I'm looking to get some opinions on the below questions...
yolanda89
Brassicaceae and Cruciferae
Do Brassicaceae and Cruciferae mean the same? Apparently...
albert_135
Can Plants Absorb Water Through Their Leaves?
Forgot what they taught me in school years ago! Sometimes...
andyamp
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™