Shamel Ash Tree

az_pamperedchef(9)October 8, 2012

So, I have (had) this beautiful Shamel Ash tree in my yard right on my lawn. It was planted when we bought the house. It was doing well, but all of sudden, and I mean in this last year since winter, it tried to green up after losing its leaves. It just couldn't do it, the buds looked like they were there, but wouldn't break forth. Now the top of the tree with its gorgeous 10' canopy is dead, but lots of new shoots are coming up from the base of the trunk. My question is this, I'd like to cut the trunk down and allow all this new growth to take over.

1. I'm not sure the tree will survive if I do that and

2. If it would survive when it the time to cut the trunk down?

I'm sorry I don't have a picture, my hubby misplaced the camera. Thanks for everyone's help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
xill

the type of pruning i think you're referring to is called "pollarding" a tree. it's common here (Imperial Valley, CA) to do that to Indian Laurels, Mulberries, and sometimes Mesquites if they really get out of hand. I'm not sure if a Shamel Ash could handle that much pruning, but I figured if you knew the proper term it might help you in your searching

Bookmark   October 8, 2012 at 9:14PM
Juttah

It'll probably survive, but as a bush, not as a tree.

Do you know why the top of the tree died? Perhaps the tree is diseased or rootbound; in that case, it's best to start over with a new (healthy) tree.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 12:49PM
lazy_gardens

You will get a weak-trunked shrub, not a tree.

I'm not sure what happened to the tree - it may have had a watering problem or been root bound.

Dig it up and check the root system, and then plant another tree. They grow quickly.

Bookmark   October 9, 2012 at 2:58PM
More Discussions
Do you use your AC runoff water?
I was thinking of diverting my AC run off this Summer...
captaininsano
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Question Regarding Shade Tree Health
This large shade tree in the side of my yard, is dropping...
colinhanke
Japanese garden
Converting part of my front yard into a Japanese style...
waterbug_guy
Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans)
Hi everyone, I posted a pic under "What looks...
grant_in_arizona
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™