What's eating my cauliflower?

silverchez(9b)October 24, 2013

I can't figure out what is munching on my cauliflower leaves! I am thinking maybe earwigs? The problem is I am not seeing ANY bugs, even when I go out at night :( I set some beer traps thinking that may help? Any other suggestions? Neem doesn't seem to be helping.

Also, my buttercrunch lettuce seems to be wilting around the edges....could this be from the hot spell we've been getting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nc_crn

Looks like a very minor diamondback moth or cabbage worm feeding.

Look around the leaves (especially the undersides) for some tiny green caterpillars and their eggs (little green-green/yellow/white globs almost always found on the underside of leaves). If you see the eggs, smoosh them. If you see the caterpillars, kill them.

Bookmark   October 25, 2013 at 3:49AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Yup, I agree with nc-crn, it sure looks like white cabbage butterfly caterpillar damage. Those little green caterpillars really do blend in. If you can't find/smush them all, lol, you can spray the plants with a bacterial slurry (no chemicals) called Bt (Bacillus thurengiensis) which is a type of bacteria that kills only caterpillars. One of several brand names is Thuricide which you can find at most home improvement super stores and good nurseries. Keep us posted. Other than the slight foliage damage, that's a fine looking cauliflower plant! Happy gardening!

Bookmark   October 26, 2013 at 12:07PM
More Discussions
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
"Mouse ear" pipevine, Aristolochia watsonii
Hi everyone, I noticed one of my "mouse ear"...
grant_in_arizona
Garden Club Plant Sale Sat. Mar. 14
http://www.gardenersofeastvalley.org/gardenersofeastvalley.org/plant_sale_15.html East...
sundrop07
Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans)
Hi everyone, I posted a pic under "What looks...
grant_in_arizona
Mary, silvery fir tree
I think I got a silvery fir tree tomato from you last...
ernie85017, zn 9, phx
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™