woody plants for low, sometimes flooded area

lotsa_rocksOctober 26, 2008

I have a problem spot near my property line where there is standing water after it rains. Depending on the rain total it can take 1-3 days for the water to drain. My neighbor had some fill brought in this spring and has blocked the drainage that used to exist, so what was already a low damp spot has become a small lake after a rain and perennially mucky. I would like to establish a garden of tall woody plants in this area (a few trees if possible), both for privacy and to fill in the wet spot with something more attractive. The area gets nearly full sun and the soil is more sandy/mucky than clay type. Oh, and there's ledge very close to the surface, depending on where you dig it might be less than 2 feet. I'm in midcoast Maine zone 4. I have been looking at the Atlantic White Cedar (Chamaecyparis thyoides) and various native shrubs (dogwoods, buttonbush, winterberry) and small trees (birch, red maple). Does anyone have any advice on the Atlantic White Cedar - would it survive being flooded (a lot, if it's rainy)? A small grouping of evergreens here would provide some much needed privacy. Any other plant suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
honymand

Consider Taxodium - swamp cypress.

/Hans Olav

Bookmark   October 28, 2008 at 4:43PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lotsa_rocks

Thats a really nice looking tree, but it might be out of its hardiness zone here. I did read that the cold is not the problem but rather ice. We do tend to get ice storms here as I'm not that far from the coast. Still, given a sheltered spot this would be one to consider. Thanks!

Bookmark   October 30, 2008 at 6:37PM
More Discussions
Water Garden - Eliminatng Cattails
I'm in need of some wise gardening advice. I have a...
Emund
Gunnera Support Group?
Against the odds (heat and humidity in Mid-Atlantic...
akebono
Arum lily
I have a very moist, very shady spot next to my water...
nightinggale
large urn without drainage hole
I was given a very large red ceramic urn. I am at a...
kitasei
Ligularia tractor seat
I am looking for a Ligularia tractor seat plant, I...
stimey
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™