growing carnivorous plants/sphagnum in a nutrient-rich bog?/idea

njbiologyNovember 11, 2011

Hi,

I have an idea for growing carnivorous plants and sphagnum moss in a nutrient-rich marsh - will this likely work?

On top of the mud, pile 6" of peat-moss and sand then plant the carnivorous plants and sphagnum moss. I suppose the roots will penetrate down the 6" of peat moss before hitting the nutrient rich saturated soil; then probably not extend deeper. This would be like a floating-mat is in nature: that you have a mass of slowly decaying wood at the edge of a swamp - the swamp seems to be nutrient-rich, black mud, etc... but the plants are insulated from the nutrients as they are rooted in the mass that towers over the water-level and apparently doesn't readily soak up the nutrients.

So, does this sound like it would work?

Thanks,

Steve

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eileenb58(6)

Steve, it sounds like it would work, provided there is enough shade. I have several bogs here and can tell you that they are all in dappled shade. The ancient bogs have a very deep layer of decay underneath. There are also some damp areas scattered throughout the woods where the sphagnum is growing on soil alone.

Bookmark   March 3, 2012 at 5:39PM
kayjones(Mo6b)

I grow mine differently, here in NW Florida. Mine are all growing in containers, from 3 gallon to 25 gallon black nursery pots, in full sun. They are in bloom now and are just gorgeous. The only water they get is rain and every-other-day sprinkler system water.

I plan to put my pond in soon, and will set the pots on ledges, but not directly in the water. As I research this subject, I find there many ways of growing carnivorous plants !

Bookmark   April 4, 2012 at 6:59PM
Lauren1123(4)

The New York Natural Heritage program is a wonderful site, which describe many different natural ecosystems found in NY and the species diversity contained in them, you can research nutrient rich fens/bogs to see which types of carnivorous plants grow in them, I know it has a lot to do with pH, but i believe some plants are pickier than others, hope this link is useful to anyone who wants to learn more about NY's unique ecosystems, I love it! http://www.dec.ny.gov/natureexplorer/app

Bookmark   April 20, 2012 at 11:14AM
Admit1(4b)

I am in MN and have my venus' and pitchers in a small fish tank that has a bedding of sphagnum and peat with a top layer of stones(to hold warmth over cool nights). My plants prefer full sun, my pitchers put out there first flower (the kid picked it off like a little jerk) but it concerns me that people are saying they need shade, I assume they are fine since they aren't dead of course but I am wondering if I need to change my ways? Sorry for the thread jack.

Bookmark   June 5, 2012 at 4:12PM
lycopus(z5 NY)

Venus flytraps, pitcher plants, and sundews like lots of sun so you should be fine.

Bookmark   June 9, 2012 at 2:10PM
More Discussions
Arum lily
I have a very moist, very shady spot next to my water...
nightinggale
rotted logs for peat in bog garden
I have a non-working pond with a liner covered with...
kitasei
Help me to create an ideal area for Gunnera
I have a hot dry yard, but I want to try growing Gunnera....
farslayr
Gunnera Support Group?
Against the odds (heat and humidity in Mid-Atlantic...
akebono
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™