Compost Tumblers

jimdaz(9)October 26, 2005

Does anyone know of a place in Phoenix to buy a "Compost Tumbler"? It is a device where you put plant material in, and turn it. Sort of like a small cement mixer for organic material. I see them online, but wonder if a local merchant carries them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AzDesertRat(AZ 8b Sunset 12)

Jim, I have only seen those online--even people from the SC&M forum can't find them locally. You can check seedsofchange dot com and some other sites for more info. Make sure that if you get one, make sure you get a container of some type to catch the black oozing stuff so you can make compost tea. That stuff does wonders for your plants.

GL and HTH

Bookmark   October 26, 2005 at 11:05PM
jimdaz(9)

Thanks ADR, I am helping a neighbor out for his wife's Birthday present next week. Told him I have seen them on online, but he was hoping for a local source. My compost pile is from the dark ages, just a large plastic bin!

Bookmark   October 26, 2005 at 11:54PM
rose2u(z9sw)

Living in such a remote area as I do, I ordered a back porch compost tumbler thru the mail. Once I got the hang of what to add and how much to add, I have had success at making compost. If you're interested here is their number:

1-888-820-5114

Bookmark   October 27, 2005 at 12:33AM
cindy_ash

I've been eyeing those myself, and yeah have only found them on line. I have three compost bins via the City of Chandler and really would like something easier to use. Ah well, someday...

Bookmark   October 30, 2005 at 5:36PM
jll0306(9/ Sunset 18/High Desert)

I'm practicing making my first compost pile in a rubbermaid tub. I've heard of the tumblers, but am hoping that I can just wrap some bungy cord around the tub and roll it a bit to get the same effect.

My DH has a friend who tells him that composting isn't a good thing to do in the desert. Does anyone know why that would be true?

Thanks,
Jan

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 3:01PM
dirt_dew(z9 az)

No! Compost is the most important thing you can add to desert soil. Keep it moist. Make sure you allow for air flow in your tub.
Happy gardening

Bookmark   September 24, 2006 at 11:48PM
aspen0(z5 MI)

I use the one below. I'm in michigan and even so sometimes in the summer it got so hot I could open it and see steam (heat is good, it speeds up the promise). I can only imagine what parking that black plastic in the Arizona sun will do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: my compost tumbler

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 1:36PM
aspen0(z5 MI)

I use the one below. I'm in michigan and even so sometimes in the summer it got so hot I could open it and see steam (heat is good, it speeds up the promise). I can only imagine what parking that black plastic in the Arizona sun will do for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: my compost tumbler

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 5:07PM
aspen0(z5 MI)

gah sorry about the duplicate post, my browser was being all weird.

Bookmark   February 5, 2008 at 5:09PM
azrae1970

I live in Glendale and got one of the compost tumblers for Christmas this past year. It works great. Being black it creates a lot of heat and everything you put into it decomposes really fast. It's so much easier than trying to turn the compost in the plastic bin. There's even a spout at the bottom to drain compost tea. Mine was ordered on line.

Bookmark   February 10, 2008 at 6:47PM
crista(Sunset 13)

Jan, I've done my compost tumbling as you're describing: in rubber tubs with bungee cords to keep the lids on. My only complaint is that I don't think the material got enough oxygen during the tumbling so it tended to get stinky. Now I'm using tubs but I pour it from one tub to the other (about 50 gallon containers 2/3 full) every other day. So far so good. So cheap!

Bookmark   February 15, 2008 at 8:40PM
buttunhead_mac_com

I was thinking about making my own compost bin with garbage can, but after looking ata buying the can, screen (to keep the mice out after you drill the holes) and an auger to stir it.. I just thing spending 99.00 on a small cheap compost bin is the better way to go.. Any advice??

Bookmark   November 5, 2008 at 11:39AM
birddoc(Mesa AZ)

I saw some at tropicamango nursery that looked pretty nice.

Here is a link that might be useful: tumbler for compost

Bookmark   February 1, 2012 at 8:39AM
euqruob(Phoenix, AZ)

Lowes has them. I got a stationary unit, just tumble with a pitchfork..easy as heck

Bookmark   February 4, 2012 at 1:12AM
More Discussions
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
What is this bug/thing?
Digging by hand this year I am finding A LOT of these...
ernie85017
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™