Castaway Begonia

AuntBarbieJune 20, 2014

I am quite new to growing begonias (I'm hooked!) and have run into a wonderful problem with an over-exuberant Castaway. It was started from a cutting about a year ago and due to some sun damage, I cut it back and poked the cuttings into the soil. That's problem one...I was unaware how freely cuttings would sprout and/or pop up from the roots and now have a veritable jungle.

Problem two comes from having been ill during the winter and paying little attention to the plant's location with one cane stre-e-e-etching for the sun. It was blossoming so fully that I didn't want to cut it back...well, its now about 18", arching, and still throwing out softball-sized panacles (sp) at an amazing rate. I've staked it at about the one-foot level which was the highest I could go without breaking the bending cane and the point at which branches have started. Its in a decorative pot that's roughly 9 x 9...

So...how do I rectify my mistakes?
at what point should I consider dividing it? Should I just wait until roots start coming from the bottom?
How many cuttings might a pot of this size support?
How should I properly treat this long, starting to branch cane? As much as it'll break my heart, should I top off this cane?

Any advice, suggestions, directions or enlightenment on the growth habits of Castaway is sorely needed! Thanks so much.

What fun! A cutting that's too successful....

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Don't you wish all problems were like #1.

If it gets out of hand (for you), cut it back. You know how easy it is to start a new plant with the cuttings now.

The more cuttings you put into a pot, the more competition there will be so on one hand it will look fuller but on the other hand the overall size of the plants will probably be a lot smaller. You choose on what look you like best.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 11:38AM
AuntBarbie

Thanks for the encouragement...

Is it unusual for them to get this tall or is it par for the course? The other cuttings seem to start trailing within a few inches of the top of the pot...course they're part of the jungle so maybe not a good comparison.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 2:46PM
hcmcdole(z7)

As they settle in and get their roots down, the newer canes emerging from the soil will get bigger than your starter plant (generally). Castaway though seems like a smaller cane and I've not been impressed with mine.

I bought a salicifolia a few years ago after seeing a beauty in the convention in Florida. Mine did okay but nothing spectacular until last year when it sent up a much thicker cane that was approaching four feet. Of course there are a lot of much larger canes but pruners can keep them in bounds.

Here is the full grown salicifolia at the West Palm Beach convention in 2009.

Bookmark   June 20, 2014 at 3:43PM
odyssey3(7 noVA)

Wow--great looking plant Butch. What size pot is it in?

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 12:26AM
hcmcdole(z7)

Probably a 12 inch pot. The grower always seems to have the best looking canes at the Florida conventions. Here is one he put in the Miami convention 2006. This is 'Miniperba' that was excellently grown. Maybe 4 feet tall (mine may get to 18 inches tall and are an embarrassment compared to this)

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 7:54AM
odyssey3(7 noVA)

Super nice. My Miniperba is not doing much in a 4 inch pot.

I can't imagine you with an embarrassing plant!

Bookmark   June 25, 2014 at 12:56PM
AuntBarbie

What gorgeous plants!!! I'm dumbfounded at the size the smaller leafed begonias can achieve.
Does anyone happen to know the parents of Castaway?
When happy, what kind of height might be achieved?

Bookmark   June 26, 2014 at 12:11PM
gregsytch(z9b Tampa Bay)

'Castaway' is a great everblooming cane. Here in Tampa Bay, mine finishes around 3-4 feet tall. Brad Thompson of Calif., created it along with many hybrids. He is a great hybridizer. For more info, go to his link http://bradsbegoniaworld.com/ it also has lots of begonia information. Have fun! Greg

Here is a link that might be useful: Brads Begonia World

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 6:23AM
More Discussions
So i can stick a leaf with stem into soil to root? correct?
I failed at trying to root leaf cutting in october. I...
tlbean2004
New to Begonias and wondering what I have
I was at the Philadelphia Flower show and couldn't...
savannaicus
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia
Hi I just bought a Dragon Wing Begonia at the grocery...
tkhooper
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Sponsored Products
RenWil Begonia Ceiling Fixture
Beyond Stores
Begonia Towel Ring
Signature Hardware
Manger Scene Mini Figurine Set
$6.99 | zulily
Area Rug: Casual Castaway Blue 7' 6" x 9'
Home Depot
Castaway Outdoor Canvas Art
Grandin Road
Home Styles Castaway 1 Nightstand - Dark Mahogany - 5547-42
$213.14 | Hayneedle
Begonia Two-tone 7-piece Counter Height Dining Set (Set of 7)
Overstock.com
VIG Furniture - Divani Casa Begonia Modern Taupe Italian Leather...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™