Plant idea for a bog garden

floridaysaNovember 14, 2006

I have an area in my backyard that I want to make into a bog garden.. My whole backyard (about an acre) slopes down to this area.. It's very soggy in the summer from the frequent rain.. Soggy enough where your foot will sink and the mud will cover your foot.. In the winter it dries out and only gets a little soggy after a good rain, which is only occasional..

What I need are plants that don't mind being very soggy in the summer and in the winter only surviving on the occasional rain and yard watering.. I plan on using taros and flag iris.. But any others ideas would be great..

Jacquie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Japanese iris. You can also install a liner and then put soil over the top, to keep it moist all of the time. Same as using a liner to make a pond, only you fill it back up with soil instead of having water come all the way to the top.

Bookmark   November 15, 2006 at 10:53PM
bigpaulie1972(9B Melbourne FL)

Canna Lillys as well. Definately Louisiana Iris.....Japanese Iris may not be a good choice depending how far south in FL you are. Anything below zone 9A and I would stick strictly with Louisiana Iris. If you are above that zone I would mix the 2 to see which one does better.

Bookmark   December 22, 2006 at 8:00AM
ahughes798(z5 IL)

Well...you could always try native bog plants.......

Bookmark   December 26, 2006 at 6:33PM
More Discussions
Growing lotus from seed
I've created a small Web site showing photos of lotus...
glycera
Another horsetail reed question
SO - I know all about horsetail (Equisetum hyemale)...
mamamermaid
bog to filter small pond?
hello, so a few months back I built my first pond it's...
mushibu10
Lysimachia thyrsiflora-Wanted
I'm looking for plants or seed of this wetland plant...
wildflowerman_2000
Anyone Growing Butterbur?
I've just introduced this plant (petasites hybridus)...
Dirty_Knees
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™