planting guide cannas

desertmamaOctober 26, 2008

can I plant canna rhizomes in November in Arizona low desert area?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bowldog

I would like some ideas on planting some ground cover on both sides of my walkway. My front door is facing west so it will get shade for half the day. I live in Sierra Vista. Like to have it low maintenance if possible

Bookmark   November 10, 2008 at 4:58PM
juju222(z9 AZ)

desertmama, I live in Sun City and have seen canna lilies growing and blooming here. I don't know when you would plant them (do you just have the bulb?).

I have one that I bought last year in a pot and it stays outside on the east side of the house and does fine (well, it hasn't bloomed yet, but then I haven't fertilized it either).

Bookmark   November 18, 2008 at 11:49PM
aikanae(z9b AZ)

cannas do well here. They stay green in winter, but if it's below 70F they will be dormant. They only brown up if it gets below 40F (but survive).

The reason why it's important to remember they are dormant while still green is because if you water them, their roots can turn to mush. Once they are established, they are more forgiving. I don't see a problem planting them now if you keep that in mind. I also only plant them about a third of the way under the soil. Some of mine still end up on top of the soil and they do fine. It's better drainage I guess.

Bookmark   March 3, 2009 at 8:33AM
desertmama

Hi everyone ! I had received a gunny sack full of canna rhizomes with brown stems/leaves shorn to about 3-4 inches...I planted most in the ground along a chainlink fence along the east side...I planted a few in pots, kept on the south deck where they would receive sun from early a.m. til mid-afternoon. The potted ones are the only ones showing any signs of life, thus far ! In fact, one rhizome sprouted five plants, which I separated into 3 and 2 plant sections and planted them in the ground on the west side...that was two weeks ago and so far, so good ! Still no sign from those planted inground back in November...

We've had quite a bit of rain in the last two months or so, which is unusual...this worries me about the rhizomes planted in ground...but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and "cheering" them on !

I know that some of them are red and some yellow, but I don't know which is which ! So I'll be pleasantly surprised...soon, I hope ! LOL

Thank you for your advice and encouragement...I'll keep you posted on the progress made by my new canna lilies !

Bookmark   March 6, 2009 at 6:11PM
aikanae(z9b AZ)

The planted pots will get warmer which is why those might be growing now. Once the ground warms up, you'll see those come up too. My experience with pots is during the hottest months, they "cook" plants - like my oven would. Incas ate canna corns like potatoes.

Bookmark   March 10, 2009 at 1:40PM
More Discussions
Ever grow melons in containers?
Ok, so my eyes were a lot bigger than my gardening...
captaininsano
Does anyone use straw to mulch?
I was going to buy a couple bales of straw to mulch...
captaininsano
Gardenia help needed
I have bought a potted gardenia plant from Home Depot...
moutia_k
Garden Club Plant Sale Sat. Mar. 14
http://www.gardenersofeastvalley.org/gardenersofeastvalley.org/plant_sale_15.html East...
sundrop07
growing chilitepin pepper bush
I would like to grow a bush of chili tepin peppers....
carolssis
Sponsored Products
Exaco Modena Urn - FM-0071-324 MODENA URN RUST
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Chrysanthe Outdoor Planter
Overstock.com
Set of 3 Metal Argento Tall Stipple Planters
Overstock.com
Progress Lighting Path & Landscape Lights Black 1-light Landscape Spotlight
$76.23 | Home Depot
Algreen Self Watering Modena Cube Planter - 12101
$69.99 | Hayneedle