WANTED: Puya alpestris or berteroniana

verdantdesert(9)April 28, 2009

Puya are the primary plants I'm looking for however:

I'm looking for terrestrial bromeliads that can tolerate the extreme and harsh conditions of a desert AND will add color or unusual form to my 1 acre garden. I can provide sun or shade, lots of space, but I can't alter the weather here. Summers can be a scorching 115 F and winters can see 2-3 nights at 30 F (though I can give some protection); rain is evenly distributed between winter & summer - approx. 12 in. I try not to supplement with additional water.

Any ideas or offers will be considered.

Have Jojoba seeds, Cassia (Feathery, Green, Silver) seeds...willing to look around my garden for other cacti/succulents. I have no bromeliads to exchange at this time.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
domehome(9 CA)

Hi there,
I found your post and I hope you find your Puyas. I have both and they are really cool plants. I don't however have any pups. What I do have is a bromeliad that might just make it where you live. I live on the central coast of California, inland far enough to get some real heat in the summer and we too get some freezing nights in winter. I have "Queens Tears" a bromeliad that has performed admirably for many years outside in the sun/part shade. I think if you put it in full shade where you are it will be just fine. It is also quite drought tolerant or I surely would have killed it by now. It pups yearly and I have already given it to all my friends and relatives so I have extras. I am interested in your cassia seeds, small plants would be preferable, and do you have any succulents or other drought tolerant plants you could trade me?
Dee

Bookmark   May 19, 2009 at 3:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brianbruning

I have these and am williing to trade for species of Bromilia or other plants. I'm helping friends in Palm Springs landscape.

Bookmark   December 25, 2009 at 9:00PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Swap 2" Echinopsis Cactus or Fan Aloe for Tillandsia
Hello, I am really interested in obtaining Tillandsia...
LatinLady
HAVE: Neoregelia for trade
Hi all bromeliad friends, I have after many years of...
orchidboy01
WANTED: Wanted air plants
Hi . Does anyone have air plants, or any type of bromilliads...
jessie1754
WANTED: Wanted: Tillandsia
Any variety and size! see my trade list for available...
rachel1992
WANTED: Wanted 'Queens Tears'
Does anyone have these seeds?
lovesherflowers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™