Keeping Rex in Northeast

mahzJune 24, 2013

I was wondering if anyone had information on keeping rexes in the Northeast. This is my first time keeping these (they were a gift). What are the requirements for keeping them during the summer, can they be kept outside or are they strictly an indoor plant? ( it can get hot (90s) and humid here). Any ideas on care during the winter as well? Any infomation would be helpful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

When I lived in OH I killed a few of these from too little sun, soggy peat. A couple hours of early morning sun should be great. The ones I have here in AL now like that a lot, definitely humid here.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 7:59AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

I've generally had good luck growing rex hybrids both in containers and in the ground in Washington, DC but some rex hybrids are more heat-tolerant than others, so in part it depends on which one you have (unfortunately, most are sold without any names). In general they want bright light but not direct sun, and a moist, well-drained soil or potting mix that doesn't stay too wet, but also never dries out completely. As suggested above, keeping them too wet is probably the surest way to kill them.

Bookmark   July 4, 2013 at 12:05PM
More Discussions
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
New to Begonias and wondering what I have
I was at the Philadelphia Flower show and couldn't...
savannaicus
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
My Special Angel
I posted this in the house plants forum but thought...
Jessie Tyler
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™