Hot West facing patio in Phx - what won't die?!

overcaffeinatedNovember 10, 2010

So I have a silly goal of turning my suburban backyard into my personal farm :) So I have lots of citrus trees and lots of container plants. However, because my terracotta pots dry out so quickly in AZ sun/heat, I am considering doing an above ground garden in what little space I have.

It's the size of a semi circle--maybe 8 x 2 or 8x 3 at it's largest point. Problem is, I have stucco walls like all houses in Phoenix and in the afternoon it's just plain HOT! You can feel the difference in temps just standing near it.

What edible plants (fruits, veggies, and herbs) would thrive in this environment. I'm not a big flower growing girl... but, if the space proved useless for edible plants, I'd consider it for aesthetics.

Thanks! I can post a pic of the area if necessary....it's just dark now :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
agility_mom(z9 AZ)

I have Flame and Thompson Seedless grapes planted on Western walls with supports to grow on and they just came through their first summer just fine.
The small natal plums produce a fruit and they can take the heat. I also have some of them planted with a Western exposure.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 2:01AM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

The trouble I find with a west facing wall in Phoenix is that in winter it's shaded while in summer it's blazing hot. I have planted a 'spiny plants' garden along my house's west facing wall - mostly agave but some others as well. The cacti are dormant in winter so they do well. Not everyone is willing to walk on the spiny side though.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you decide.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 7:48AM
phxplantaddict

Bamboo, pomegranite, peach , apple. By the way, trees dont have to e planted in the ground. Ive got over 100 in pots

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 10:29PM
greendesert

The pomegranate will definitely take the heat. I have grapes but I would not put them on the west side. Okra can take the heat as well. very productive and beautiful. I mix 2 varieties (green and burgundy) and I like the effect. Corn could probably take the heat. All citruses should be ok if they get enough water. Fig trees would also do well and provide very nice greenery and fruit. There are many varieties that can be grown in a pot. I would grow everything in the ground. I hate pots here... they dry out too fast and they're too much work.

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 1:04PM
phxplantaddict

mulberry

Bookmark   November 13, 2010 at 7:53PM
More Discussions
Cats in my garden beds
We got new neighbors who let there two cats run wild. How...
campv
"Mouse ear" pipevine, Aristolochia watsonii
Hi everyone, I noticed one of my "mouse ear"...
grant_in_arizona
Lawn renovation/reseeding - Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
does anyone grow santolina in Tucson area?
Has it just gone out of style, or is there a problem...
DWA in AZ Sunset zone 12
growing chilitepin pepper bush
I would like to grow a bush of chili tepin peppers....
carolssis
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™