edible plant family book

internetJenSeptember 6, 2011

I've been searching for a website that has nice, well fleshed out info on plant families. I think I might have to start looking for books instead.

I've got the info to take care of individual plants. What I'd like to acquire is knowledge of the big picture. I'll be needing to do crop rotations on my small property and I think this will influence the plants I choose.

I'm currently formulating a garden plan for next year, my first full year of growing. I want to include information about the families of plants I choose to grow. It'd be fun if I could learn info on the plant families pre-cultivation; like where their ancestors grew wild and what not.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL(8B AL)

The folks at the veggie gardening forum might have some info/links/titles to share with you.

Bookmark   September 15, 2011 at 9:01AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
taxonomist(7b VA)

I believe you'll be amazed at the number of plant families which have been documented. And the sad fact is that new families are being created every week either as new entities or split off from existing families. Taxonomic botany has become a first class nightmare. Most economically and horticulturally significant plants have been hybridised to such a degree that precise identification has become impossible. Best of luck with your project!!!

Bookmark   September 16, 2011 at 7:27PM
More Discussions
Chinese Bottle Gourd: Double Ovary?
Hi, the plant in question is the Chinese bottle gourd,...
Johnleprekan
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
Population (genetic) diversity in home landscaping?
Hi, My question concerns: how long a perennial wildflower...
njbiology
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™