Need to prune neglected citrus in new house. When? How?

overcaffeinatedNovember 10, 2010

Just bought new house w/some sort of large lemon tree (Lisbon?), mystery tree (nursery said Bearss lime, but not convinced), and a Mexican Lime tree.

They must be about 4-5 years old (house is only 4 years old) and don't seem to have been pruned or maintained. (House was a short sale.) One BIG sucker on the mystery tree. I've heard this is important to remove.

Should I attempt this myself? When? I don't like how tall the trees have become and they are VERY thick and thorny.

And, in all honesty, if anyone can recommend a good arborist to initially help me get this under control, then I'd be willing if the price is reasonable and I can take it from there.

I just need as cheap as possible w/o killing the trees OR good advice how I can start on this myself.

Thanks so much!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Get some good lopping shears, good gloves, and take the sucker out at ground level. Also clip out any broken or dead branches.

The rest can wait until spring. You can read up on how to prune citrus this winter.

Bookmark   November 10, 2010 at 8:34PM
greendesert

yeah I'd get rid of the sucker, that can go anytime. everything else can wait until spring. Pruning tends to stimulate fresh growth and you don't want nice baby branches right before the cold comes. halfway through Feb I'd say might be a good time to give it a good pruning

Bookmark   November 11, 2010 at 1:07PM
aztreelvr

You can search for local arborists or tree care professionals at the link below. Just scroll to the bottom of the home page and select your city or county. Any certifications that the individuals hold will be listed like certified arborist, certified tree care worker, consulitng arborist, etc.

Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Find a Tree Professional

Bookmark   November 15, 2010 at 2:01PM
More Discussions
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
Dog Eating Hibiscus
Can anyone offer suggestions to keep our 9 month old...
azfran
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™