Need Suggestions for Shade Loving Shrub

peoriaplantingNovember 19, 2008

I need help with a bad spot in my yard. I have about a 6ft walkway between my house and block wall on the east side of my lot. The neighbors have a giant orange tree that shades that area pretty much the entire day, maybe allowing an hour of sun to get through. Since the wall is maybe about 5 feet high and they undercut the orange tree, there is no privacy between our windows and theirs and it feels a little awkward not to have some sort of screening plants.

I have tried orange bells and cape honeysuckle, neither of them lasted more than a few months. Because there's not much sun and I have landscape fabric down under the rocks, the ground stays pretty wet.

Any suggestions on a 6-10 foot shrub or small tree, 3-4ft wide that can take full shade and soggy soil here?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

I see pittosporum doing pretty well in similar locations. The probably want a bit more sun but they might be worth trying? If you're okay with something that's not a shrub, I've seen a lot of Australian sword ferns (Nephrolepis obliterata) thriving in similar conditions. A really tall one might be almost three feet tall eventually and would at least visually fill up that space. I have one I keep in a pot along the east side of my house and its done great, and they seem even happier with less light than I give mine.

Let us know what you try and how it works out.
Grant

Bookmark   January 14, 2009 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
placement of Gasteraloe
I scored yesterday on a 1.5 gallon gasteraloe at HD....
temperene
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™