White gnats?

ahwatukee_gardenerNovember 15, 2007

I was recently pulling some weeds from my yard. These weeds are the ones that tend to spread out over the rocks like ground cover. Anyway, when I did so hundreds of tiny white gnats flew up in a cloud and ended up biting my hands, arms, face, etc. They seem to have infested all of the weeds in my back yard.

I have noticed them before but never this bad and apparently my skin is quite sensitive to them!

Any thoughts of what these are and how to control them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aztreelvr

It sounds like you are dealing with Prostrate Spurge, a common weed with small leaves, milky sap and hundreds of seeds.

The gnats you describe are actually Whiteflies. The adults do nothing to harm plants but their larvae sip fluids from plant leaves, especially hibiscus and lantana. As soon as we get our first good frost they will be gone, but in the meantime you can use a soapy water spray applied to the underside of the leaves. This will kill any adults and larvae that are clinging there.

Adult whiteflies are attracted to the color yellow. Sticky traps can be placed in your landscape where the insects become lodged and therefore can't lay eggs on your plants. You can also make your own sticky traps with a plastic yellow plate and vaseline. Staple the plate onto a wooden stake and place near affected plants.

For your spurge weeds, use a contact herbicide to kill mature plants and a pre-emergent spray applied to the soil that will keep any leftover seeds from sprouting.

For more information on spurge visit http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/spotted_spurge.html
Good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: Whiteflies

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 4:41PM
More Discussions
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
February 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden?
I hope Grant doesn't mind me beating him to posting...
kevininphx
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™