When/How to prune a desert nectarine tree?

sirjonny(8 S.Scottsdale)November 27, 2005

I planted a frail 5 gallon tree 2 years ago and it was pretty dormant for the first year, but starting this past Spring, grew like crazy. ItÂs probably 8 ft. tall and 5-6 ft. wide. We got some nice fruit from it this year as well.

Someone mentioned to me that it needs really aggressive pruning. I seem to recall them saying fruit wonÂt grow on the same branches twice (or something similar). Or did I hear that wrong?

That said, the size is fine, the shape is fine and thereÂs no funny growth. Do I need to prune it? If so, how?

Thanks, Jon

P.S. How much water does it need in the winter? I think I watered it every couple of weeks last year, but now itÂs bigger.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
turtleman49(AZ)

I have a quckie tutorial on my site, that might answer some of your questions.. When I was managing fruit orchards we'd stop all irrigation in the winters.. I think were going to have a colder winter this year, that should help with giving you the hours of dormancy your going to need.. The tutorial is for a peach tree, but it is the same for all stone fruits

Here is a link that might be useful: Peach Tree Prunning

Bookmark   November 27, 2005 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Can't believe those at DG wanting Blue Dawn vine
I don't belong to DG but once in a while read the SW...
haroldws
Potting soil and basket types for Hanging Baskets
I'm planting my first hanging baskets in the White...
letsharmonize
Kokedama
Japanese String Gardens. Anyone doing/done any of these?...
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™