Begonia semperflorens Doublet Red

marguerite_gwJuly 7, 2005

I bought this recently, and it's a beautiful plant, the flowers being a little smaller than my double pink B. semperflorens 'Pink Camellia'. Is anyone else growing the Doublet begonias? I was wondering where they have originated from, whether they were spontaneous mutations from seedgrown Begonias semperflorens or are hybrids of the various doubles on the market from time to time, such as 'Pink Camellia' or 'Gustav Lund'.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sondrakniley_aol_com

I live in Ohio, just acoss the WV state line. My mom & I have looked & looked for doublet begonias but cannot find any in either area. My mom is 86 years old & that is her favorite flower. I would sure like to find some for her. Do you know where or from whom I could order some? Have you any idea as to why this particular flower is so hard to find? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Sondra

Bookmark   May 24, 2011 at 4:39PM
goblugal(7)

Doublet Series of begonias are bred by Danziger, an Israli company. Hard to find because they sell primarily through independent garden centers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Danziger

Bookmark   May 25, 2011 at 12:38PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I just purchased B. Semperflorens 'Rose Doublet' - what a lovely little plant! I had never seen it before and came across it as the last one hiding amongst some dragon wing begonias at a local Ace Hardware. $3.99 for this cute little guy. He just jumped right up into my cart, LOL.

I know he is a little leggy. I will give him a little pruning/shaping after he gets comfortable in his new container.

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Google Images

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Wed, Jun 26, 13 at 23:24

Bookmark   June 26, 2013 at 11:22PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

I went back the next week and found her two sisters, Doublet White and Doublet Pink! Here are all three: Doublets White, Rose and Pink.

Carol

Bookmark   July 2, 2013 at 12:32PM
More Discussions
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™