Begonias sprouted then rotted

raee_gwJuly 21, 2014

Hello, I've not grown tuberous begonias, only a long lived angel wing, which lived on a covered porch in the summer and a pot of the bedding wax begonias which I also overwinter.

I was able to get a dozen corms of non-stop and other "hanging basket" tuberous begonias on clearance this spring; they were solid and healthy looking and sprouted when I potted them up.

However, about half have rotted! Could it be that being on the uncovered patio, part shade, with all the rain we have had was too wet for them? I potted them in a mix of compost and peat with extended release fertilizer -- wrong? Should I repot them into a sterile commercial mix?

I want to save the remaining plants (some look fine, others seem to be struggling) so any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woebegonia

Too wet I would say. The mix they sit on, not in, should be barely damp. When the little eyes show, then youcan pot them a little deeper. But remember, they will not tolerate being watered when they haven't really started growth.Experience is a good teacher,.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:06AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
raee_gw

Thanks, woebegonia. At least if I get lucky next year I can use a better draining mix and keep them on the covered porch. I think that I will move the survivors to that porch before the next rain.

Bookmark   July 22, 2014 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Would love an ID on this begonia
I'm attaching 3 photos- hopefully First one is of...
lorabell NC
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
So i can stick a leaf with stem into soil to root? correct?
I failed at trying to root leaf cutting in october. I...
tlbean2004
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™