Identify this tree, and will it grow in Phoenix?

nickw252November 5, 2013

I am seeing these all over Palm Springs, CA, which I thought had a similar climate to Phoenix. Does anyone know what this tree is, and will it grow in Phoenix?

The tallest ones are about 20ft tall, it has large leaves and some have white flowers. The trunk is smooth and has green in it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kmccann

I believe it's a Plumeria. They can grow here, but need a micro climate. They wouldn't grow in the ground, out in the open like this one.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 10:00PM
Milos_House

It certainly looks like a plumeria and I know quite a few people grow them here in Phoenix. There are even a few that have them in the ground. Do a search on this forum for plumeria, also check the plumeria forum. Also if you do a google search on growing plumeria in Phoenix, you will find a number of results with a lot of good advice on growing them here in the valley. I am new to plumerias but I currently have a 3 foot one in a pot on my patio.

Bookmark   November 5, 2013 at 11:45PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Yup, I agree with the others, it's definitely a plumeria ("frangipani" in some parts of the world). They can be grown in the Phoenix area in the ground in VERY warm microclimates, especially in central Phoenix, and in pots everywhere in the Valley. I've been growing a few in huge pots for several years and really love them. The three things to remember: afternoon shade in summer, no water when they drop their leaves in winter, and no hard freezes.

The ones I've had in the ground (N. Scottsdale) for several years all got zorched during this past winter's record breaking cold snap in early January. I brought the potted ones indoors for three nights.

Let us know if you give them a try, and how they work out for you. My favorite variety is 'Celandine' with massive, highly scented, yellow blooms. Here's a pic of her blooms:

Happy gardening!
Grant

Bookmark   November 10, 2013 at 11:13PM
More Discussions
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
The Official AZ Tropical Fruit Trees Thread
Sorry for the monopoly on threads today. If anybody...
kccav
Best place to buy trees?
I need a new queen palm and would like a palo blanco....
cms9323
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™