"Bog plants"

garyfla_gw(10 Florida)October 2, 2012

Hi

Can someone tell me if this term has a botanical definition?? To me "bog' means a flooded but not necessarily submeged area with a pH below 5.

Was checking the Kew library and a plant that I know as

an emergent aquatic was listed in the above title.

To me the word is MUCH more descriptive than other terms such as emersed ,amphibious,emergent and so on while "bog " is very definitive?? So "bog is a catchall term also?? Thanks gary

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I'm not necessarily a big fan of Wikipedia (dependability is so inconsistent), but they seem to have a pretty good explanation of bog:

"A bog is a wetland that accumulates peat, a deposit of dead plant (and animal) material - often mosses, and in a majority of cases, Sphagnum moss. It is one of the four main types of wetlands (along with swamps, marshes, and fens)." ... "Bogs occur where the water at the ground surface is acidic and low in nutrients."

Gardeners, especially amateur gardeners, often use the term much more loosely than a biologist/botanist/etc would.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia Article on Bogs

Bookmark   October 3, 2012 at 8:30PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
That's the description that come s to my mind. Surprised me that KEW would use a catchall phrase lol
The plant in question is Aponogeton madagascarensis ,
grows totally subnmerged except for flowers . Would not grow at all in a "BOG" lol I suspect that it does occasionly grow as a "Marsh" plant though I doubt it.
i was looking for habitat pix . Anyway thanks for the link I've lost faith in Kew as the last word in Botany lol gary

Bookmark   October 4, 2012 at 5:14AM
More Discussions
What is the academic reasons for why only some grafts work?
Persons grafting usually use similar plants, citrus...
albert_135
The Tetragonostachys of the USA
Interested in the Tetragonostachys? While often seen...
terrestrial_man
Sructure name?
Plant is a Callisia but would appreciate help with...
mfyss
Name this flower
Found this flower growing up on my fence behind some...
Inswoman
Population (genetic) diversity in home landscaping?
Hi, My question concerns: how long a perennial wildflower...
njbiology
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™