my begonia looks pitiful

marajade151(7)July 22, 2009

I bought this at the flea market and it looked gorgeous...I repotted it about 6 weeks ago into some miracle gro potting mix...it starting to look really bad though...does anybody have an idea about what to do about it? This is my first year gardening... From upload

This is when I bought it From upload

This is how pitiful it is now

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

This is either a tuberous or a Reiger begonia (I suspect the latter). They look so beautiful in the store because they were grown in ideal conditions and then get stressed out due to the move and then growing in less than an ideal environment.

First thing to do is monitor your watering. If the soil stays wet then it will eventually rot and die. Let it dry out some before watering again.

Move it outdoors to get as much fresh air, heat, humidity, and bright light as possible. This should make a tremendous difference. If you can't do that, then put it under bright lights indoors and hope it responds.

Typically these would be treated as annuals but you want to make them go at least for the growing season.

Bookmark   July 23, 2009 at 1:14PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aliska12000(Z5)

hcmcdole helped/encouraged me in saving my Sinbad. It looks like yours is outside. Maybe it needs just a tad bit of sun but not too much, early morning or late afternoon, but could be different for your variety.

It's too early to fertilize with anything, but I did some research last year, not sure, but they might prefer acidic soil. I've been giving mine a little Miracid (pot strength) now and then also some Osmocote. But I wouldn't want to do it this soon and possibly stress it more.

Sure is a beautiful one. They look so nice in the photos. The main leaves look healthy still, but if that is new growth, it doesn't look too happy, and the blooms have to be disappointing at this point.

Good luck with it. Sometimes when I put a new plant into a larger pot, it takes awhile to adjust. I usually clean the pots as best I can and run them through a bucket of bleach water and rinse well, usually don't if it's a brand new pot.

Bookmark   July 27, 2009 at 11:48AM
More Discussions
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
Where to buy escargot begonia
Does anyone know where I can buy escargot begonia for...
organic_suzie
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
Anyone have b.grandis bulbils for swap or SASE?
I would very much like to try these if anyone has a...
rredbbeard
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™