Calamondin Citrus

az_pamperedchef(9)November 8, 2010

I have a Calamondin citrus tree that I planted in January and it's doing great! It's covered with small orange fruit ready for picking. So here's my question, what do I do with the fruit. It's fairly sour, but very pretty. :-) The tree is a cross between a Mandarin & a Kumquat. Anyone familiar with it?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
azjoshb

I've heard its mainly used for cooking. A man at HD told me he cuts them in half and puts them inside the chicken and bakes it.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 5:56PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Neat! I've had a variegated leaf one for quite a few years and would love to hear of a good way to use the fruit (I grow and use a ton of other citrus). I've sliced it in seltzer water and have used the rind in a pinch as a substitute for orange rind, but I'd love to hear more.

They're fun trees for sure. Here is a pic of some foliage and fruit on mine last month (embedded and at the link below).

Let us know if you find a good use! :)
Take care,
Grant

ps: I love that you call it calamondin citrus instead of the misnomer "orange". I may mimic you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grant's variegated calamondin

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 7:25PM
turtleman49(AZ)

I'd love some bud wood off that Grant..

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:07PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Very nice Grant! I read on the 'net that you can slice some up with cranberries for a nice sauce. I'm thinking of doing that for Thanksgiving.

Bookmark   November 8, 2010 at 11:49PM
az_pamperedchef(9)

Here's a photo of my Calamondin. Sorry it's sideways, but don't worry I didn't plant the tree sideways! It's about 4.5 ft tall. That is a lemon cucumber growing up the side.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 11:18AM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

Yours looks great! Nice and happy and totally full of fruit! It looks like it's not on a dwarfing rootstock? Very pretty either way. Hopefully you or someone reading along will find a good recipe for them.

Turtle, just email me how to get you some bud wood and I'll see what I can do. Let me know the best time of year too.

Take care,
Grant

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 2:03PM
turtleman49(AZ)

With the shade houses and greenhouse I bud just about year around.. anytime you have your always welcome to come over and poke around, just call my cell phone before dropping by to make sure I'm here.

Bookmark   November 9, 2010 at 6:59PM
Ivan956

This is my little 15 to 20 ft calamondin.I'm in deep south texas by the coast and the property came with 2 of these trees, this is the biggest and has over 100 fruits on it now,i also wanted to know what else i can make with this fruit.i make calamondinaid now, but any other sugestions would be great. Ivan

Bookmark   August 4, 2012 at 7:27PM
darthtrader(10 SoCal)

Old thread, but no one's answered so I thought I would. My mom's Filipina and what's typically done is there is they make a lemonade type drink out of it. It's also used to zing up a savory dish, much like how we use lemon here to squirt on seafood.

Bookmark   January 15, 2013 at 1:53AM
tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI(6A)

Calamondin is a common citrus plant in Asia like the Philippines where it is known as Calamansi. It used like we use lemon or lime in the US. I think that its closest relative is the key lime.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 12:01AM
More Discussions
Which plants they are?
Anyone can help me identify these 3 plants? I have...
lenering
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans)
Hi everyone, I posted a pic under "What looks...
grant_in_arizona
Ever grow melons in containers?
Ok, so my eyes were a lot bigger than my gardening...
captaininsano
Growing Anemones (Windflowers) in pots in AZ
I've never had any luck with windflowers, going back...
rhony2
Sponsored Products
Boticario de Havana Candle
$29.00 | FRONTGATE
Spirogira Citrus Basket by Alessi
$150.00 | Lumens
Outdoor Area Rug: Escape Fresh Citrus Multi 2' x 4'
$58.97 | Home Depot
Outdoor Area Rug: Escape Fresh Citrus Multi 5' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Electric Citrus Juicer by Alessi
$204.00 | Lumens