Coffea canephora

ltecato(9)October 9, 2009

Hi. Sorry to bother you academics with such an ignorant question, but I've been wearing out my fingertips looking for any vendor who might sell me a live C. canephora plant or even a viable cutting. I know you can get seeds that purport to be from this species, but I don't think I've ever been able to make any coffee seeds sprout... and believe me, I've tried.

Arabica plants are no problem to find, of course. But I actually hope one day to start a coffee plantation in some warm part of California, and I want to try growing robusta as well as arabica. Obviously, somebody somewhere has to be selling them.

I'm also looking for other Coffea species such as liberica and racemosa. If anyone can just point me in the right direction, I'd be forever in their debt. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ronalawn82(z9FL)

1tecato, it seems to be an important crop in the Guianas, especially French Guiana which seems to be developing new and improved techniques. Maybe your search should go in that direction.

Bookmark   October 11, 2009 at 5:46AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I would contact a group like the Hawaii Coffee Association (or equivalent from other areas). I have been on tours of coffee plantations down there and was impressed with the knowledge of some of the growers (especially on some of the small plantations). I wouldn't be surprised if someone at a group like that could lend assistance.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 3:47PM
ltecato(9)

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Bookmark   October 13, 2009 at 4:35PM
More Discussions
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
zjharrison
Brassicaceae and Cruciferae
Do Brassicaceae and Cruciferae mean the same? Apparently...
albert_135
Cold stratification & "tricking" seeds
Was originally posted here, in the Growing from Seed...
actionclaw
Changes in Flowering Time
Hello! I'm a postdoc at Harvard, studying flowering...
curiousmachine
fyi, ubc botanical garden forums has a plant science forum
Plants: Science and Cultivation Disregard. Almost no...
albert_135
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™