Christmas Tree Selection

sjrabbitNovember 27, 2012

We live in the Vail area south of Tucson, and we have have varying degrees of luck with the five Christmas trees we have planted out. What types of trees have you planted out, and how did they fare? Thanks for any wisdom you can share.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

I used a Norfolk pine one year, then potted it up and set it outside with an eastern exposure. It's gone back and forth between flourishing and trying to die. Right now, it looks rather ratty. It needs to go in the ground, but I can't find a sheltered spot where it might do well. What varieties did you plant?

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 1:32PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sjrabbit

So far we have used four varieties of pine (Aleppo, Japanese Black, Afghan, and one I'm not sure of, and last year we used some blue variety of juniper. Two of the pines have not done well with the wind and suffered in the terrible freeze a couple of years ago (they were too small, we won't make that mistake again).

I guess our biggest challenge is the wind. Looking for something that can thrive out here in the Vail gale, as they call it.

I love the Norfolks, and I'm always tempted by them, but we had one once, and it broke my heart to lose it.

Bookmark   November 27, 2012 at 2:14PM
More Discussions
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
ID Help!
These lovely little flower stalks have appeared on...
GeeS 9b
March 2015 what looks good/bad/awful in your garden
Happy March, everyone. So far it's been a cloudy one,...
grant_in_arizona
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Help! Lime tree decimation
My lime tree is being decimated (leaves and branches...
bullamansss
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™