When should I buy seed?

gladzoe(3a)August 25, 2008

This year I had great results growing non-stops from seed. In order to get a jump start on next year and avoid having seed shipped in the cold, should I order now? Would an order placed at this time be fresh seed or leftovers? Does seed more than a few months old germinate? Also, which online retailers are recommended?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
twrosz

Hi Gladzoe, the seeds won't have any problem regarding being shipped in freezing cold weather, even if it's -20 C. Place your order as soon as you receive your catalogue and get those begoinas off to the early start they need. I also grow the tuberous kind from seed and have had very good success when planting in January.

"Would an order placed at this time be fresh seed or leftovers?" ... I'm not sure, probably leftovers?

"Does seed more than a few months old germinate?" ... probably if it's been stored at cool temps.

"which online retailers are recommended?" ... I have ordered with good success from Thompson and Morgan, Parks, Stokes, etc ...

Terry in zone 3

Bookmark   September 10, 2008 at 1:43PM
gladzoe(3a)

Thanks Terry! My belief has been that seed might be damaged by freezing. Glad to hear it won't be. I was thinking of ordering from Antonelli Brothers due to the positive ratings seen here. When I e-mailed them they responded that seed is shipped at any time.

That is a gorgeous basket, how many begonia's do you put in it?

Bookmark   September 11, 2008 at 2:17AM
macthayer(z9a NV)

Don't underestimate Thompson & Morgan. I get all of my seeds there, and have for years, and I'm a very satisfied customer. I've also grown their begonias from seed, and they sprout just fine. MacThayer

Bookmark   September 21, 2008 at 11:52PM
gladzoe(3a)

I've thought about ordering from T&M but being in Canada the 7 dollar shipping and handling has put me off.

Bookmark   September 23, 2008 at 11:58PM
More Discussions
Care instruction for a Dragon Wing Begonia
Hi I just bought a Dragon Wing Begonia at the grocery...
tkhooper
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
Is Blackmore & Langdon begonia tuber worth it ?
Any one try Blackmore & Langdon tuber? Are they...
mymanga
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™