rex begonia newbie

kimmie_72(7)August 16, 2009

Ok, this summer I was given two rex begonias which were very small. Personally I thought I did not like begonias but I learned these were not the ones I see landscapers use everywhere. Wow, I am impressed with these beauties and how big they have got. Where do you find your rex begonias? I stopped at a few local nurseries when I was out and about but never found any. The few times I have been to Lowes I looked there but did not find any either. When I saw all the different ones I just about passed out and now I want more!!

Also how do you trade using the forums? I only have two and they are probably common ones but I do not know. I read about how to propagate using the leaf cuttings and have some new ones started.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Rexes are fun despite some of the problems associated with them. A lot of people will not buy a rex due to the problems but even if they kick the bucket sooner or later they do add a bright spot for several months if you treat them as an annual.

Rexes can be found locally at big box stores, local nurseries, grocery stores once in a while, etc. They can also be bought on line such as eBay, Logee's, Taylor's, and several other begonia vendors. Going to begonia conventions is another great way to add to a collection.

There is a trade forum here but I wonder if anyone uses it much. Why not post a trade on the main forum instead of a lesser used adjunct? It's like the picture forum - almost useless.

Here are some of mine over the last few years:

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 11:19AM
kimmie_72(7)

Oh my, these are beauties... maybe I should just buy some from the people on here...LOL!! Now you just made me want them even more...

Bookmark   August 16, 2009 at 5:13PM
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

For mail-order sources check out Lyndon Lyon Greenhouses, Logees Nursery or Rob's Violet Barn. All have a good selection of rex begonias.

Kartuz and Lauray are two other good sources of begonias, but they don't seem to have a lot of rexes.

Bookmark   August 18, 2009 at 12:51PM
More Discussions
shima nishiki peony field
The video is from 2009, taken in Luoyang, China. Enjoy...
jujujojo_gw
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
Small Red Rex
I have this remnant of a plant I bought at Lowes...it...
suyoder
need help to ID plants... newbie to begonias
hi from the philippines! i chanced upon this collection...
rica_ph
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™