Dragon Wing Begonia Problem

msbrandywinevalleyAugust 4, 2013

This might not sound like a problem to some of you, but my Dragon Wing Begonias have gotten way too big and I don't know what to do.

I have five deck-rail planters with these beautiful begonias. But they've gotten so tall and top-heavy that with the heavy rains we've been having here in PA recently, two of the planters have fallen off the railing onto the deck, and many stems broke off as a result. In fact, one of the boxes lost so much of the plants, it couldn't be salvaged.

So I'm wondering, can these plants be pruned? And if so, what's the best way to do that? If not, is there something else I can do to prevent them from falling over? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Yes, prune away. Follow the branch down to a node where you want to shorten it to and prune above the node. You can always start new plants with the pruned branches as well.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 11:52AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Ooooh wow! Those are so pretty, perfect! If you don't have an interest in new plants right now, you could use strong fishing line or steel wire to attach the pots more securely to the deck rails.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 3:08PM
More Discussions
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™