bioactive compound

birdboyhg(PA 6a)November 22, 2013

I was discussing bioactivity of certain secondary plant compounds, with a colleague. He brought up a point that I seemed to have contradicted myself with previous discussions... The issue was based on differing definitions of bioactivity. In my searches looking for a definition, i seem to come across a repeating problem of many definitions settling with a broad statement like "any substance that causes a change to a living organism" or "any material that has an effect on living tissue". Given such definitions, I can think of nothing that would not, then, be bioactive. Could someone point me to a source that defines bioactivity in a way that does not include all substances. I would imagine a noble gas, glass, some plastics, etc would be considered non-bioactive.
Thank you

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

I don't think there is a single good definition for the word. If you look through the literature where this term is used, you'll see that there are multiple, often contradictory, uses of the word. People in one discipline (health and nutrition, physical therapy, biochemistry, etc) seem to use the word much differently than those in other disciplines. I can't really remember seeing the word used significantly in the realm of botany, so I don't know that there would be a standard definition for such usage.

But, you are so right that, even where the word is used, it's meaning frequently doesn't seem to be very pinned down.

Bookmark   November 23, 2013 at 6:48PM
More Discussions
ok to grow an entire poplation of plants from one motherplant?
If i were to buy a single flowering, hardy pond plant,...
njbiology
reccomended plant science educational books to read
Hey everyone, looking for some plant science book recommendations...
zjharrison
have you seen Coppertone loquat?
I recently purchased some "Coppertone loquat"...
serenoa
Franklinia alatamaha
Maybe this query should go in the Propagation or Native...
Josh
Plant ID needed!
Can you please ID this plant for me? It is potted in...
RPost78
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™