Bringing plants in - Insecticides?

paxfleurSeptember 19, 2010

For those who live in the colder climates, I'm sure many are not looking forward to bringing in all their pots for the winter. I know I'm not! :) Last winter I found many rolly polly bugs a.k.a pill bugs/sow bugs and other miscellaneous bugs in my plant room while my potted plants overwintered indoors - this year, I've decided to treat all the pots prior to bringing them in to avoid freaking out everyone in the house with bugs.

For those who treat their pots prior to bringing them in, could you recommend a good product to use? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Happy Growing! :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluebonsai101(6a PA)

I personally use products that have imidacloprid in them. In particular I use Bayer Tree and Shrub products with I believe 1.47% imidacloprid. This is great against spider mites and mealy bugs as well as other things you do not want. Last fall I dosed all my plants a couple of times before bringing them in (2 Tbsp/Gal at the concentration indicated)......I both sprayed the leaves and did a soil soak.....I never had a bug all winter....no spider mites, no aphids, no nothing....first winter ever.....I've already started my regimen this fall. I'm sure there are a ton of other options, but this is what I do. By the way, this is perfectly safe on my Amaryllids from all around the world, my caudiciforms, my aroids and everything else :o) Dan

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 7:54AM
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)

Thanks Dan! Since I nearly poisoned myself and my coworkers with a granular systemic a few years back, I'm glad to know about this alternative. BTW...still use the Bayer granuales, just don't bring them in the house anymore!
:-)
Kristi

Bookmark   September 20, 2010 at 7:37PM
paxfleur

Hello Dan - Thank you for sharing your invaluable information! :) I'll go check out Home Depot tomorrow to see if they have the Bayer Tree and Shrub (liquid form) in stock. I hate to kill the harmless buggies but I also don't want to have bugs walking around on my white carpet. Have a great day.

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 9:03PM
joshy46013

Pax,

I know exactly how you feel, I HATE killing the harmless bugs :( I hate it! I always feel awful even killing a fly!

Bookmark   September 21, 2010 at 11:42PM
mariava7

If you got some extra $ to spare, giving your plants/bulbs a dose of that "High Tech" fungus and bacteria Mycorrhizae/Trichoderma (hope I spelled that right)would help a lot preventing "baddies" overwintering with your plants/bulbs. It works with Imidacloprid but some fungicides and insecticides can kill them.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 12:15AM
More Discussions
Let's Get Acquainted!
In recent months, we've had several new members join...
jodik_gw
Worsleya seeds
If anyone is interested, someone is offering worsleya...
rredbbeard
Rebloomer 'Giraffe'
Reblooming 'Giraffe' First scape with 5 flowers!! :)...
lenanen
Any H. Piri-Piri blooms?
Mine is just opening. Solid dark red cybister. Photos...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
test
just trying to figure out if i am signed in
snowdogmama
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™