training Cape Honeysuckle

xillNovember 16, 2012

hey guys, i have 3 honeysuckle i put in the ground last spring (rescues from out-of-season stock at Lowes). they survived the summer and are now showing alot of new growth since it started cooling off. problem is, they're sprawling in a mounding fashion, and i'd really like these guys to create more of a 4-5 ft informal hedge. how can i train them up and dense? should i tie the woody stems as they are now, or should i cut them back first and tie the tender new growth before they become woody? thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Hi xill, tie them up now. We will likey have a frost soon and the new growth will get zapped by it (unless you cover of course). But go ahead and tie them up, and continue training the new growth as it comes along.

Bookmark   November 18, 2012 at 7:38AM
xill

thanks. i tied them up and OMG i had no idea they had actually grown that much! Most of the new shoots are now standing up at shoulder height. very cool. hopefully we don't get a frost this year (we don't normally get that cold around here)

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 1:44PM
grant_in_arizona(USDA Z9 Scottsdale AZ)

They look really nice! Can we see an "after" pic of how you've tied them up? I always love seeing the nice bushy specimens around the valley, but whenever I grow them they just are so leggy/sprawling. They look nice--great job rescuing them too. How often did you water them in summer?

Happy gardening!
Grant

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 2:29PM
xill

sure grant :) here's a few photos after they've been tied up. you'll have to excuse the fence and pretty much everything else, we're doing all kinds of yard work right now getting ready for new plantings. during the summer i watered these guys about every 3 days when i watered everything else. right now i'm watering about once a week. i planted them with about a 2" basin, so i just filled them up with the hose on my way around the yard. i think what has helped them more than anything is the shade. you can see from the photo which i just took an hour ago that they are now in the shade starting at around noon. they're also planted under a small ficus which blocks some of the morning sun. after killing a few others, i've found that the CH really don't like much direct sun at all

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:26PM
xill

here's another photo of them tied up. i'm hoping they'll stand on their own later, even though i tied up semi-hardwood growth

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 4:28PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

Looking good xill!

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 5:37PM
xill

Bookmark   November 19, 2012 at 6:44PM
More Discussions
Can/Should this Hong Kong Orchid tree be saved?
My 1 1/2 year old Hong Kong Orchid was hit by the frost...
goldie11
Anybody with Cherry trees?
Hello, I'm a fruit tree maniac (I have about 50 small...
Andrikos
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
Is this a good or bad caterpillar?
Is this a good or a bad caterpillar? It's on my petunias....
greendreamhome
Bad Bad Bad
This site is not very good !!!
campv
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™