Angelwings

loni_in_eekAugust 7, 2007

Hello Begonia lovers. I have just returned from a 2 wk long trip to find that all my angelwings (mallets and superbas) have become diseased with powdery mildew. It has rained for about 1 1/2 weeks straight. My Lucerna has been this way however for about a month. What should I do. I don't think they missed me 1/2 as much as I missed them. I did give instructions for my husband to water them and I watered them again when I returned.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenelbows1(z9--so LA)

I've read a lot of different suggestions for dealing with various fungal diseases in begonias--haven't tried many myself so I don't know how effective they might be. A great begonia grower who used to post regularly here said she used skim milk and baking soda--not sure if she mixed them or used them separately. Just was reading about using Physan and I've used that--it's also good for algae control, and says it's useful for virus. I had good results for algae and fungus but didn't try it for virus. There's a couple related ones whose names I can't remember, but I can look them up if you're interested. I see the spray form of Tinactin recommended fairly often--yes. it's the stuff for Athlete's Foot. May try that one myself. Easier to find than Physan! And there are, of course, general purpose fungicides at your garden store.

Bookmark   August 8, 2007 at 10:53PM
More Discussions
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
Rhizomatous Madame Queen and Black Truffle
A nursery was discounting their "annuals"....
linnea56
started rhizome cutting...leaves shriveled
hello,i have a b.northern lights that has been sliding...
woollady
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™