N-Sulate 1.5oz Cold and Frost Protection Fabric

nutcr0ckerNovember 11, 2013

Claims to protect plants by as much as 6-8 degrees. Anyone have any experiance with this in Arizona. Worth buying? Claims to be permeable but the question arises is if premeble. would it not allow the cold to enter? also claims to allow sunlight with no burns.

http://www.planetnatural.com/product/n-sulate-frost-protection/

or
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWitt-Ultimate-6-Wide-X-Any-Length-2-5oz-Frost-Freeze-Cloth-Thermal-Blanket-/290995300438?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0amp;hash=item43c0abe856

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
GeeS 9b

The 6-8 degrees is captured ground heat. You can reach the same goal using towels, sheets, cardboard boxes, or any other frost cloth. Just use them to good effect, i.e. cover plants as securely as possible all the way to the ground.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 5:05PM
tomatofreak(Z9 Phx USA)

Frost cloth is supposed to be safe when in direct contact with plants as opposed to materials like sheets. I bought a bunch of the stuff a few years ago and 1) when the wind blows, it's useless, 2) when the temps drop into the teens for nights on end, it's useless and 3) when you don't anticipate a freeze and put the stuff over the plants, it's useless. I'd save my money.

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 9:38PM
toucan(9)

So good post. I was just thinking I Ned's to get some frost cloth since it is now in the 80's. freezing days are coming very soon. My plants got burned last few years because I'm always too late in buying it. So what is the best or better frost cloth?

Bookmark   November 11, 2013 at 10:54PM
MaryMcP Zone 8b - Phx AZ

I like Arizona Bag Company.

Here is a link that might be useful: Az Bag Co

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 7:29AM
nutcr0cker

Thanks for the input. I ordered a small piece would see if it works

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 3:47PM
GeeS 9b

You're better off using towels and sheets (not as likely to blow away or become compromised), if the plants are small enough, though frost cloth is better for lightweight plants that can't tolerate much weight. Best protection of all for small plants is corrugated cardboard boxes, as long as rain is no concern. The corrugation provides excellent insulation and you're guaranteed maximum benefit from captured ground heat by a good, snug fit to the ground. You can get all you want for free from USPS.com.

Most large/larger plants are too difficult to effectively cover, IMHO. Just say no to large tender plants.

Bookmark   November 12, 2013 at 4:47PM
lazy_gardens

Almost anything works except plastic ... you just have to protect the tender leaves from the freezing air.

I bought some frost cloth because it comes in nice big pieces and I had a lot of chili plants to overwinter.

I make a tent thing out of saw-horses, 2x4s and king-size sheets and frost cloth ... weight the sides with bricks.

lay a string of outdoor mini christmas lights (incandescent, not LED) on the ground first and they provide just enough heat to keep things from freezing too badly.

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 8:21PM
Fascist_Nation(9b)

My rule of thumb on frost cloth is half of whatever they claim. 4F would not be bad.

Bookmark   November 16, 2013 at 11:04PM
GeeS 9b

I've done some checking and measuring, and tend to get about 6F from plants covered snugly to the ground -- sheets, towels, boxes -- doesn't matter. Frost cloth, because it is so thin and light, is difficult to use toward the full advantage of a snug ground fit. More than once, I've awakened to find my efforts with frost cloth foiled by stiff winds, hence my general disdain for the material.

Bookmark   November 17, 2013 at 12:16AM
More Discussions
Tucson Xeriscape has a weird disease
Late last summer, many of the plants in my xeriscaped...
jukesgrrl
I still love this pot (Day Of The Dead talavera pot)
I've always been on the fence with all of the Day of...
grant_in_arizona
Where is everyone?
Did you all hit the road because of the changes? I...
ernie85017
Spinach, swiss chard - something eating holes in leaves
I don't see any critter on the plants during the day,...
art_in_ov
Time to take off frost protection?
I was tentatively planning to remove the frost cloth...
drmeow3
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™