Container question

chloeashaNovember 14, 2011

Hi all! It's been forever since I've been here. I've moved to the hot part of Arkansas and I thought of you guys because I have a north-facing balcony and need container advice. The balcony never sees sun, but I faced complete heat-stress death of all my plants this past summer. They didn't even dry out (well they did twice, but that wasn't what killed them-- it wasn't major lol). :( I remember heat stress from my life in NV. This was definitely a heat stress issue. I had wanted impatiens to grow so I had nice flowers on the balcony-- could the problem have been the combination of heat plus not starting with them until June (so lack of establishment) or perhaps starting with plants that were too old and shocking them? I would have started earlier, but I didn't move there until then. So do you guys have any ideas/suggestions for heat-tolerant container plants which will do well in a north-facing situation? Like I said, no direct sun ever, but it is bright-- my indoor giant philodendron put out 6 news leaves in front of the french doors to the balcony, so the lighting isn't too dark. Thank you all in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phxplantaddict

Plumeria

Bookmark   November 14, 2011 at 10:03PM
chloeasha

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 4:26AM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

Heat stress? And the plants dried out a couple of times...but watering isn't the issue? If you say so.

I've lived in a different areas of the country, NY, FL, TX, CA, AZ. Here "heat stress", unless there is outright burning of leaves, is caused by low humidity which I assume isn't a problem in AR.

Impatiens, depending on variety, in the nursery can be watered twice a day. They're not a plant that does well drying out. They may come back, but damage is done each time. Something like Vinca takes infrequent much better.

Bookmark   November 30, 2011 at 7:05AM
lazy_gardens

could the problem have been the combination of heat plus not starting with them until June (so lack of establishment) ... YES!

perhaps starting with plants that were too old and shocking them? ... YES

And make sure you have big-enough pots and a reliable watering system.

Bookmark   December 2, 2011 at 9:54PM
chloeasha

Thanks! Yes, I think starting earlier will help this time. it was already in the upper 90s/low 100s when I started them this year. I think you hit it on the head, Lazygardens.

Bookmark   December 3, 2011 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Lawn renovation/reseeding - Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
Growing Anemones (Windflowers) in pots in AZ
I've never had any luck with windflowers, going back...
rhony2
what do you know about wisteria here in Phx area?
I LOVE IT! can I grow it. I'm willing to work at it...
ashley_whiting
Pride of Madeira (Echium candicans)
Hi everyone, I posted a pic under "What looks...
grant_in_arizona
Yaupon Holly
Someone reccomended yaupon holly as a good substitute...
colinhanke
Sponsored Products
Tiffany Lamps: Victorian 19 in. 2 Light-style Table Lamp with Shade CH19817G-TL2
Home Depot
MTI Tybee 2 Tub (59.5" x 59.5" x 19.25")
Modern Bathroom
Monogram Wine Glasses - Set of 4
Home Decorators Collection
Piripicchio Clothes Shaver by Alessi
$58.00 | Lumens
akadaHOME 60-inch Birch Storage Cabinet
Overstock.com
Round Bathroom Waste Bin in Brass
TheBathOutlet
Canister Stool in Blue
$99.99 | Dot & Bo
Daylt White Module dl-module-5050-3 LED Module