Should I stop water to all my plants and trees in winter?

shuss(9a)November 24, 2010

This is our first winter. The sprinkler is now set to 5 mins twice daily for all plants and lawn.

I have

Fruits:

Banana

Guava

Apple

Mango

Orange

Pomegranate

Pecan

Shade:

Fantex Ash

Chinese Pistache

Pine

HongKong Orchid

Plants:

Roses

Blue Juniper

Bouganvillae

Honey Suckle

Pittosporum

Arabian Jasmine

Oleander

Hibiscus

Italian Cypress

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thisisme(az9b)

Just cut back to watering every 6-10 days as needed. Always keep in mind though....

Newly planted trees need their root systems kept moist (not wet) for a few months and that watering before a frost helps protect your plants and trees.

Bookmark   November 25, 2010 at 11:41AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
piranhafem

It's better to water less frequently and more deeply. Twice a day for 5 minutes is way too often, and not nearly deep enough, for almost any kind of plant. Established trees that go dormant in the winter will only need to be watered once a month in December and January. But they need to be watered deeply, down to 3 feet. Newly planted trees and smaller perennials will need to be watered more often than that, but 6-10 days sounds about right, and depending on the size of the plant, 6" to 1' deep. You may need to get a soil probe to tell how deeply you've watered, and how long it takes to get that deep. You push the probe into the soil and it will stop where the water stopped. I got my soil probe from the Pima County Ag. Extension during one of their open houses for $5. I was using a length of rebar before that, but it was a bit too thick and had no handle, so it wasn't easy to use.

--Maureen

Bookmark   November 27, 2010 at 2:22PM
More Discussions
Sissoo trees- how much space needed for roots?
From the research I've done, Sissoos seem to be ideal...
uprooted_will
how to get better tasting tomatoes
Last year, I finally was able to grow a few tomatoes,...
newtoucan
growing chilitepin pepper bush
I would like to grow a bush of chili tepin peppers....
carolssis
NOT in love with my sapote tree
Hi everyone, I'm so NOT in love with my grafted sapote...
grant_in_arizona
Austin roses for the desert?
I am California but your climate is closer to your...
Pete
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™