floppy leaves

terrycinor(7)October 28, 2009

I have a question for you all, I have two hippies and both of them have floppy leaves. Do you suppose they need more light to gain more strength in their leaves? I see all of your guy's pictures and their leaves look so nice and I wonder what I'm doing wrong.

Terry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jodik_gw

It could be that they require more light... or, it could just be that the plant requires a little help, as in a plant stake and a tie. Where is the plant? Is it in a south window? East? Or elsewhere?

If you think the plant is getting plenty of sunlight, you can fashion a plant support out of thick coat hanger wire. Bend a loop at the top large enough to corral the leaves and place the stake in the soil, with the loop around the leaves. Or, you can just stick a bamboo stake into the soil and tie the leaves up loosely with twine or large twistie ties.

Hope this helps!

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 6:21AM
terrycinor(7)

Thanks they are in an east window and did bloom last spring, so they don't mind where they are, the leaves are very thick and wide the largest ones are around 3" wide so maybe the are just to heavy to stand up on their own. I thought I had a picture to show what I mean but I can't find it right now.

Terry

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 11:10AM
jodik_gw

Ok... the leaves are just too heavy to hold themselves up. No big deal... just fashion a plant stake and tie up the leaves loosely. Or, you can buy a ready made plant stake hoop. Which ever you prefer.

I use either bamboo stakes and twine, or I fashion hoops out of clothes hangers or welding rod. A good, stiff wire will work. Leave about a foot or more straight, and bend a hoop to gather the leaves into. Stick the straight end into the pot and you've got instant support.

An eastern exposure should be enough light. That's where the majority of my plants sit... but I have so many that I've added extra lighting!

Bookmark   October 28, 2009 at 12:54PM
More Discussions
Do I need to repot my amaryllis. Did so last May. It prospered.
I got advice here last May or so, and repotted it....
michelange2
Why did amaryllis leaves fall to the side when i put them in new spot
I have an amaryllis that just got done flowering. i...
tlbean2004
Just opened today
H. Jewel, H. Papilio, and H. Montecarlo. H. Giraffe...
kaboehm (zone 9a, TX USA)
Heir-loomed Amaryllis Seeds & Offsets
My grandmother has an Amaryllis that's a speckled salmon...
amaryllisgirl123 (zone 7 NJ USA)
Whites
I am fond of predominantly white Amaryllis. Some of...
brigarif Khan
Sponsored Products
Charles Petite Leather Armchair in Tan
$498.00 | LexMod
Home Decorators Area Rug: Persimmon Green and Black 5' 3" x 7' 6"
$99.00 | Home Depot
Prismatic 52678 Rug
$99.99 | zulily
64" Lacota Resin Freestanding Tub
Signature Hardware
Antique Copper Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
Atlantis Tubs 4270PDR Petite 42 x 70 x 23 - Inch Oval Air & Whirlpool Jetted Bat
Beyond Stores
Woodland Cordless Mailbox Swag
Grandin Road
Leaves Beige/Green Shower Curtain
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™