Transplanting begonias

wdc202(Wash. DC)September 22, 2012

I'd appreciate advice on transplanting begonias. First, this very basic questions: Are all varieties of begonias grown from tubers?

I want to move a dozen or so begonia plants from area 1 to area 2. Area 1 is a large collection of mature begonias that have been doing well for several years without replanting each year.

a. Is the fall (now) a good time to move them?

b. Do I just dig plants out from area 1 taking a large clump of soil and then plant the clump in area 2? Or is there a better way of moving them?

c. Do I fertilize the transplants? With what?

d. I have read about storing begonia tubers in a cool place over the winter and then planting them in the spring. Is this really necessary or can the transplanted plants winter over in the ground?

Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
eahamel(9a)

I can be a little help. Not all varieties of begonias are grown from tubers. None of mine are, because they don't grow well where I am. Most of mine are cane begonias. They can get several feet tall and have clusters of blooms.

Here is a link that might be useful: cane begonia article

Bookmark   September 24, 2012 at 10:30PM
woebegonia

Fall can be a good time to transplant, it depends on your climate, I would guess Maryland is too cold for begonia tubers to be left in the ground over winter. b. You have described a good way to transplant. c. I wouldn't fertilize any plant in the winter, there would be no growth to benefit it.

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 9:15AM
marybright(7)

What sort do you have? If you definitely have tuberous begonias and they've miraculously survived a Baltimore winter; then you've got a good warm location for the original group and you're in good shape to experiment. You could transplant a chunk (def. don't feed and don't water much), bring some tubers in, and transplant some into pots and let them do dormant inside.

Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering tuberous

Bookmark   September 26, 2012 at 10:25AM
More Discussions
Angel-wing Begonia drops leaves
My angel-wing begonia is huge and has flowered many...
safron4
Eyelash begonia
I was given a mini eyelash begonia yesterday. I have...
Winnie12
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
Cool photo editing for rex type begonias
Just ran across something I did a few years back and...
hcmcdole
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™