floppy stalk on new york rex

nebraskagardener(4a, but really 3)September 4, 2013

Hi folks, I have my first rex begonia and so far so good, except it's got a long floppy stalk and wants to fall over. If it was an AV I would know what to do, but I don't with this. Any advice?
Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

Either brace it, stake it, cut it, or give it away. Just kidding about the 4th option.

I often use a huge rock in some of my pots to brace a begonia if it is "flopping over". A big rock also helps discourage digging squirrels (all kinds of tips here). It can also be used to weight a recently cut plant in the pot you want it to root in. Works quite well.

A stake works too but then you also need to tie the plant to the stake. Plus you have to usually cut the stake to size and why waste a good stake for a floppy begonia? You could try 2 bamboo skewers in an X shape to support it too. Bamboo skewers are cheap, disposable, and can be used as dibbles for starting cut leaves. The only downfall is they can mold in a very moist environment - I don't recommend these for terrariums due to that fact.

Cutting works as well - maybe not what you want to hear but at least you can start a new plant with the cut top. See how easy that is?

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 4:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Just to make sure, do you mean the rhizome is leaning, or the petiole of a single leaf? Don't think I've ever seen a Rex for sale that was big enough to lean from the rhizome, but that's not sayin' much, just a thought... and maybe someone gave it to you, IDK.

Bookmark   September 5, 2013 at 11:58AM
More Discussions
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
Breaking dormancy
All my B. grandis tubers are showing their 'eyes' as...
woebegonia
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Getting tubers from youngb plants?
I do well growing tuberous begonia from seed ,but never...
RT_12589
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™