carrying over TB bulbs?

mantorvillain(z4bMN Dodge)September 30, 2006

I just got back into Tuberous Begonias this year and want to check on carrying over the bulbs (this is MN). I've just left them in the pot in past years with so/so success. In reading on container gardening I think my mix may be considerably on the heavy side so am thinking of unpotting the bulbs and carrying them over in bags with sawdust. The bloom rate is fading a bit tho still good. Should I A/ let them catch a light frost to kill back the foliage, B/ just cut off the tops dig the bulb now and let it sit a few days then into the sawdust, or C/slug the pots into the basement new til the top dies back, or D/ something else entirely? Realizing there are likely many approaches I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Will

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rain1950(W. WA z8)

Most begonias won't wait for a frost to begin dying back. They will begin fading once the night temps begin falling below 40. Unless to get a quick snap freeze, just leave them until they begin showing the distress, then cut them off flush. Pull the tubers and shake as much dirt off as you can. If possible, leave them sit on top of the soil for a few days before bagging them. Do NOT place them in sealed bags, punch some holes in the bag for air circulation and sawdust works fine. Just be sure it isn't bone dry. Don't want it damp, just misted a bit.

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 7:02PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linnea56(z5 IL)

Just noticed here is a post similar to mine!

What kind of bags? Paper or plastic ? (Hmmm...where have I heard that before??)

I have no sawdust; how about perlite or vermiculite?

Bookmark   October 1, 2006 at 10:23PM
More Discussions
Begonia started from seed BUT no tuber grown???
I started a couple of tuber Begonias from seed this...
started_with_bean
New hardy begonias
I've been trialing a lot of new begonias for hardiness...
JohnnieB
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
To re-pot Rexes or not?
As you can tell from the picture, I have three Rexes...
neuf
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™