Cai I induce dormancy in rex begonia?

BlueZamia(7)September 18, 2011

How can I reduce bulk on a Rex begonia (zodiac series) to carry it cross country? I am moving from Minneapolis to Washington DC in late October. Would I need to put it in carry-on, or could I put it in stowed luggage or slow moving truck.

My initial plan was to take root cuttings & hope for the best. This will work for succulents & hoyas I think)

Second thought, Reduce watering, wrap in bubble plastic, pack in cardboard box & hope for best.

Final thought, give it away to someone who will keep it alive.

I have a 10 year old ponytail palm (single stem, never trimmed) that I will also dearly miss. Afraid it will freeze & split)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hcmcdole(z7)

You can put it in a suitcase or carry on. Reduce the root ball and clip the oldest leaves if they are oversized. Put the plant in a baggie with the rootball wrapped in damp newspaper or paper towels to keep dust to a minimum.

You can also take the cut leaves in a plastic bag if you wish to start more.

Convention attendees bring back dozens of begonias in suitcases both in carry on and in checked bags without too many problems (some spilled soil, some broken leaves, maybe a decapitated stem but these can always be used to start more).

Bookmark   September 18, 2011 at 9:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
JohnnieB(Washington, DC 7a/b)

Too late to help with your question but if you're interested in begonias, be sure to look up the Potomac branch of the American Begonia Society!

Here is a link that might be useful: American Begonia Society

Bookmark   November 29, 2011 at 7:49PM
More Discussions
Blackmore & Langdon Begonia bulbs The Worst
I purchased 10 bulbs from early this spring directly...
spacehunter
beginner Begonia enthusiast
New to Begonia, but a couple of years into actively...
hookilau
Winter Feeding of Rex Begonias
I am losing a couple of my Rex Begonias and wonder...
neuf
ID please
I'm assuming this is a begonia, and here in zone 5...
drich30099
Begonias in Miracle Gro Orchis mix?
So I was bored today and decided to replace 2 of my...
Nick Robinson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™